I Found My Oldest Coin to Date, William and Mary British Copper.......

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually found this copper about 20 years ago, and always thought it was a George III variant of some sort. Back in those days we didn't have the internet to reference things to. Any way I got looking at it again recently a little closer with the jewelers loupe, looked up early British coppers and it turns out to be a 1694 William and Mary half penny! Up to that point I always thought my George II 1749 British farthing was the oldest. I was very excited about it so I thought I would share the excitement with my friends here. I just wish it were in a little better shape, but I'll take it anyway. :)

I am putting the internet photo first, then my coins...Good hunting everyone!

Attachments

• WILLIAMANDMARYCENT.jpg
    WILLIAMANDMARYCENT.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 948
  • w&mcentobverse.jpg
    w&mcentobverse.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 974
  • w&mcentreverse.jpg
    w&mcentreverse.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 953
  • GIIfarthingobverse.jpg
    GIIfarthingobverse.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 936
  • georgeIIfarthingobv.jpg
    georgeIIfarthingobv.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,010
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a W&M OK. 8)

I was shocked this week to get my W&M 1690 Tin Halfpenny from a park :o

Makes you think how many other detectorist have their oldest find tucked away in a pile of grots.

OP
OP
Goldiver

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
That's a W&M OK. 8)

Makes you think how many other detectorist have their oldest find tucked away in a pile of grots.

Congratulations on your 1690 W&M! Coins that old are very hard to come by in the US. You are very fortunate to live in a country so rich in history. The property where I found my coin used to belong to a Revolutionary War General. His mansion is long gone now but I found many interesting items there over the years.

Some of my ancestors came from Wales, and I would love to go there and treasure hunt sometime.

I wish you luck on your future hunts.....Steve.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Goldiver said:
CRUSADER said:
That's a W&M OK. 8)

Congratulations on your 1690 W&M! Coins that old are very hard to come by in the US. You are very fortunate to live in a country so rich in history. The property where I found my coin used to belong to a Revolutionary War General. His mansion is long gone now but I found many interesting items there over the years.

Some of my ancestors came from Wales, and I would love to go there and treasure hunt sometime.

I wish you luck on your future hunts.....Steve.

you sure are right in saying that something this old is rare in the states! for here it doesnt get much older than this! glad you were able to ID it! nice find!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
you sure are right in saying that something this old is rare in the states! for here it doesn't get much older than this! glad you were able to ID it! nice find!

There are a lot more old coins that have been found than most realize, I know of several experienced collectors who never post on forums or even look at them. Here are some stats relevant to this find on the scarcity or non-scarcity of the early coppers.

Reference is from the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4) Summer 2005 newsletter. I am a friend of the author of the article and here is an excerpt of some of his totals found in New Jersey. (Article titled: Survey of Colonial Coins Recovered in Southern New Jersey -- Part II)

Charles II Farthing - 13 found + 1 Counterfeit
William & Mary Halfpenny - 4 found
Tin William & Mary Halfpenny - 1 found (Crusader take note :) )
William & Mary Farthing - 1 found
William III Halfpenny - 45 found + 1/2 of one
William III Farthing - 5 found

I believe all of these were found in a tri-county area of NJ by the author of the article.

I have found 12 William III coins of which two are William & Mary coppers and I believe my son has a few also, they are out there and they did circulate here for a long time, so most are severly worn down as is Goldiver's and most everyone that I have ever found.

I did like this post, since what was said is so true, there are dirty uncleaned or severely worn coppers out there that have been found and due to not having the tools (Internet/forums/etc) to identify or educate that many will forever be in someones find box never properly identified.

Don

OP
OP
Goldiver

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I appreciate the comments folks. Don I enjoyed your post. I would like to add that these were found in upstate New York.

An old friend of mine from the area who hunted relics primarily had many of the old British coppers and rare state issued coppers that he used to find at French and Indian War, and Revolutionary War sites. His display case was loaded with priceless artifacts, including a sword he recovered near Lake George, it was in outstanding condition,and only missing the leather wrapping on the handle.

Those old coins are still out there!

Steve

ramblinsam

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2007
this is what i love about this site. i,m staring at the same coin.found it in kittery pt.,me.of course it was the one i learned about no cleaning .still enough detail left to identfy.sam

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tyre kicker said:
That's a cracker of a coin :o :o