Beverly, WV Finds

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are my best finds from a piece of property my family owns in Beverly, WV. I have found at least a dozen more points. Some I've given away to friends and my best ones are on display in a store window in Beverly. I have also found two Indian head pennies , an 1885 and 1896. The US cartridge box plate I just found last Saturday and appears to be bullet struck. The musket barrel I found while detecting although not with the detector. It was sticking out of a pile of dirt my uncle dozed up. I tried to locate the rest of the rifle, but as of yet have had no luck. Beverly is just east of the Rich Mountain Battlefield, at the foot of the mountain along the Tygart River. It was occupied by union troops in 1861 during the CW and was the sight of a few raids . It was a Major stop along the Parkersburg Stanton turnpike.

Attachments

• Beverly-CW-finds2 (Large).jpg
    Beverly-CW-finds2 (Large).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,026
  • Beverly-Relics (Medium).jpg
    Beverly-Relics (Medium).jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,073
Upvote 0
OP
OP
gmstreet

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digginman said:
Great find gmstreet. I know where Elkins is, but not Beverly.

Thanks for showing us.

DM
RT. 250/219 6 miles south of Elkins ( Elkwater, Huttonsville, Beverly, Elkins, Belington, Phillipi are all in the Tygart river valley along RT. 250/219)

Greg

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking finds from Beverly! My parents used to live in Elkins on Gwendolyn Drive, off of Glenmore loop. I would come down and visit and look for Civil War stuff, so I have done some research on the area.

Once in awhile I still go down that way to hunt Civil War stuff. I found alot of .69 caliber bullets, in one spot I found three pristine .69 caliber Austrian bullets in one 12" around area. I know a guy down in Mill Creek that needs me to find a 10 dollar gold piece one of his Confederate soldier relatives lost.

Hope you find the rest of the gun, nice find!

Steve

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thats some pretty cool finds
i agree the box plate does appear to have been hit by a bullet

Im also in WV......in Cool Ridge, which is south of Beckley in Raleigh County

Top Member Reactions