My Best Find

howy66

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
Elko, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum
Happy new year to all. I have been watching the web site for a while and really like what I see. I am a pretty avid metal detectorist. A few years ago I made this find. I just thought I would share the recent newspaper article with everyone. :D

ELKO - Dave Howard, who considers himself an avid metal detectorist, recently reported on a highly unusual discovery he made a few years ago near Jiggs.

Howard discovered a coin collectors refer to as “Bryan money.” According to History Matters, Bryan money was a term used for presidential tokens from 1896 commemorating the presidential nomination of William Jennings Bryan.

Bryan won the nomination by the Democratic party at the 1896 convention in Chicago after he gave his support for the free coinage of silver at a ratio of silver to gold of 16 to 1. This inflationary measure would have increased the amount of money in circulation and aided cash-poor and debt-burdened farmers. Bryan was later defeated by Republican William McKinley.

Howard was able to identify his discovery by going online to the forums at www.mytreasurespot.com. He said the coins are “quite rare,” and he wonders how it could possibly have found its way to Jiggs.

“Nevada's loaded with ghost towns and unsolved mysteries just waiting to

Attachments

• Token1.jpg
    Token1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 870
Upvote 0

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Howy 8)

That is a kick butt find ! One of the things I like most about T-net are the unique finds and unique coin finds are the BEST !
And a different coin with quite a story behind it.

So the underlying plan of the coins was to get votes ?
Heck who today even knows who William Jennings Bryan was let alone he had political money circulated !

Whats that puppy worth if I may ask ?

COOL COIN !!

D.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting bit of history & nice its silver :)

OP
OP
howy66

howy66

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
Elko, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum
Thanks guys.
I went relic hunting with my wife at a old homestead here in Jiggs Nevada. We found a few older bottles and then I fired up the old MD A discovery 3000 from radio shack a bounty hunter kick off. I found a little trash and finally a good solid hit showind a silver dollar about 4" down. I dug it up to find a token which I thought was play money. its bigger than any silver dollar and seems to be made of aluminum. I seen one go for $450. back in September in California.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
howy66 said:
Thanks guys.
I went relic hunting with my wife at a old homestead here in Jiggs Nevada. We found a few older bottles and then I fired up the old MD A discovery 3000 from radio shack a bounty hunter kick off. I found a little trash and finally a good solid hit showind a silver dollar about 4" down. I dug it up to find a token which I thought was play money. its bigger than any silver dollar and seems to be made of aluminum. I seen one go for $450. back in September in California.

I too thought it looked like play money :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread