Jaw Dropper for me

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Charlottesville, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
An interesting find turned out to be a great story.

My wife and travelled to the town I grew up in to spend Christmas with my mom this year. After spending Christmas eve searching an old farm that skunked me, I went into the woods behind my mom's house to try my luck. Supposedly union cannon balls can be found back there from an artillery battery at the top of the hill. Well, I didn't find any cannon balls, but after weaving my way through briar bush after briar bush, while aiming my DFX at any clear ground I could find, I finally got huge broken beep. I kicked aside the leaves and there was a square mirror on the ground. After doing a little digging, bead necklaces, metal necklaces, plastic child's hair clasps, and all manner of jewelery started popping up. After some hardware and hinges attached to some rotten wood popped up, I put two and two together and realized an entire jewelery box was what I was looking at. It had obviously been stolen and picked through and then dumped by the tree. I gathered up all the jewelery I could find and returned to the house.
I was cleaning the items in the kitchen, and one of the things I found was a billfold type picture holder with several photos in it. All of the images were washed away, but there was a note on the back of one that could still be clearly read. It had a name at the bottom. My mom asked me what I had found and I asked her if she knew anyone by the name on the note. She said "that's my best friend from high school!" I was skeptical, but she quickly began IDing the jewelery as hers from her childhood. It turns out that she had all of her childhood jewelery in a pink box that had been stolen from our house 15 years ago when I was in high school. The police had searched the woods for signs, but found nothing. All this time later, I stumbled upon the remains.
The only silver that remained was a small religious pendant, and the only ring was a gold plated one with an amber colored stone, so the criminals had made off with the few gold items that were in it. However, the sentimental value of what was recovered was huge. She just couldn't believe that her things were back in her home. There was even a projector slide of her and her friends from when she was in high school that you could still make out after cleaning.
After finding what I thought was junk that had a sad story for someone behind it, this find became my best find yet while treasure hunting because of the history for my family and the story it gave us.
V

ringandslide.jpg

necklaces.jpg

note.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
vthepresident

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Detector(s) used
It was a really cool experience. She has since recalled some other pieces that were in the box that might still be in the woods, so I am excited about returning to broaden my search area.

Thanks for the replies
V

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
great find -- be sure look closely at the area other items might have been dropped in their rush as the rifled the jewelry box or lost as they fled in the area -- check along the path going away from the house --there was most likely a trail from the house to where you found the box --the crooks stopped and looted the box then fled down the trail away from the home --they might have had the stuff in their hands and if they dropped something as they fled the crime scene would not know it and even if they found out later would not go back for fear of being caught. --its worth a look see -- Ivan

OP
OP
vthepresident

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Detector(s) used
I am going back there in about a month, and I will take more pictures of the site and try to recover the rest of the loot. Maybe if the pictures look magazine worthy, but I am sure W&ET has bigger fish to fry. I'll have to talk to my publicist....

Thanks for the replies
V

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread