Speaking of ink wells...

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really consider this one of my best finds ever. First time out after a near fatal accident about 20 years ago...well ok it was stupidity, not an accident, a "hey yall watch isss" moment in time...... I found this little 12 sided ink well hunting with the same buddy I hunt with now. We were eyeballing bottles and he was first to find something. He chucks me a fairly common medicine bottle and says, "wash this for me (expletive)"... I grudgingly walk to the nearest puddle to perform my wash duty and there, just under the surface I see a flash of blue... I think this is older than the one from the other day.. I really like glass.

Attachments

• smallwell.JPG
    smallwell.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 849
  • smallwell1.JPG
    smallwell1.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 846
  • smallwell2.JPG
    smallwell2.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 848
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chitlin

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a better picture showing the true color of the ink well... it looks like the blue green stain until you hold it up to the light.... and the knob thing is cool. I picked it up thinking it was another broken off bottle top, then realized it was smooth on each end... it's busted up but I'll keep it. ;D

Attachments

• inkwell3.JPG
    inkwell3.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 788

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Very nice Ink Wells...I've never found one intact, all either cracked or just pieces...Congrats!! :D

HH, Hank 8)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your bottles, I think I have an earthware one?

The glass one I dug as a kid in a Victorian bottle dump. The dump was 1 mile square & the holes I jumped into were 6 foot deep. I used to dig for hours & had over 2000 mostly clear bottles. When I moved I had to pick about 30 of my fav & the rest were recycled. Still got them today. The dump is now built on.

I think its early as its a shear top, thats all I know about it. Always reminded me of a house.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 540
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 536

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you found more than one it makes me think there might have been a school there at one time. When I was in grade school we still used desks with a little hole in the top for your inkwell. Monty

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
When I was in grade school we still used desks with a little hole in the top for your inkwell. Monty

Yes so did we, did the desk hinge open?

OP
OP
Chitlin

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a sweet ink well crusader. All the ones I've seen have been square or umbrella...I have an earthware one in a box I can't find right now.... had to put the bottles up high or in a box......speaking of bottles.... here's my original avatar photo and some more ;D

Attachments

• score4.JPG
    score4.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 484
  • score3.JPG
    score3.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 492

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi nice inkwells, Here a few of of the ink bottles and wells i found last year.Sorry only got cell phone pic as broke my good camera. Date between 1850-1920

t.p

Attachments

• ink wells.jpg
    ink wells.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 408

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Since you found more than one it makes me think there might have been a school there at one time. When I was in grade school we still used desks with a little hole in the top for your inkwell. Monty

crusader's inkwells are a bit to big to fit into the old lift-top school desks ??? ??? ??? yet again the pottery one could have fitted in a 1850's school desk. You over a 150 Monty LOL ;D ;D ;D

t.p

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan said:
Monty said:

crusader's inkwells are a bit to big to fit into the old lift-top school desks ??? ??? ??? yet again the pottery one could have fitted in a 1850's school desk. You over a 150 Monty LOL ;D ;D ;D

t.p

He didn't mean me but the original poster.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I feel like I'm over 150, but not yet. I'll do my best to live that long. The old desks had a folding top where you could put your books, pencils, etc inside and the inkwell was just a hole up in the upper rt. hand corner. The chair part sat on a cast iron pedestal. All the hardware was painted cast iron. I don't know how old the desks were but they were ancient. I never saw an actual ink bottle but I'll bet there was one that originally came with the desk and would fit in that hole. My Grandad use to tell me about dipping the girl's pigtails in the ink well if she sat in front of you. He was born before 1900, so that gives you some hint as to how old the desks were. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread