Large Monastic Bronze Seal

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Hi all, After many years of searching I've got to class this as one of my best finds. It's a large bronze monastic seal 16 Century which is late for this type of seal. The seal is flat backed and would have been fitted into an handle probably wooden. I had been searching the field over many years mainly because of it's Roman finds before the seal turned up. Just goes to show the best does sometimes wait until last.

HH -Robert

Attachments

• stater and seal 005.jpg
    stater and seal 005.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 934
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DCMatt said:
Which may mean something along the lines of 'seal of the chapel of the blessed Mary of the stairs' (?).

I think it's more like:

"(lesser) blessed Mary of the ladder of heaven" possibly referring to the vision of St. Bernard and referencing the chapel of Scala Celi (heavenly ladder) in Rome.

I found a reference to The Lady chapel of the Austin Church at Norwich being permitted to used the name. A chapel at Westminster Abbey as well.

Yours is one of the most interesting finds I've seen on Tnet. I would say it is a BANNER item.

If you have more info, I'd like to know.

DCMatt

Good research, you should work for the BM, sounds plausible

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FANTASTIC FIND!

This one should be on the BANNER!

-Buckleboy

Shoe

Nov 18, 2007
Addison Township, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Cleaned up real well for having been in the ground for a handful of centuries. What cleaning technique did you use? Was it heavy with patina?

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Shoe said:
Cleaned up real well for having been in the ground for a handful of centuries. What cleaning technique did you use? Was it heavy with patina?
Had the seal professionally cleaned in a vacuum cleaner using chemicals. It cost £70 but was worth every penny. When found the seal was well crudded up. Looks great now though.

Robert.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
DCMatt said:
Which may mean something along the lines of 'seal of the chapel of the blessed Mary of the stairs' (?).

I think it's more like:

"(lesser) blessed Mary of the ladder of heaven" possibly referring to the vision of St. Bernard and referencing the chapel of Scala Celi (heavenly ladder) in Rome.

I found a reference to The Lady chapel of the Austin Church at Norwich being permitted to used the name. A chapel at Westminster Abbey as well.The first person to look at the seal a collector said he thought it was Italian the BM say it's not ?.

Yours is one of the most interesting finds I've seen on Tnet. I would say it is a BANNER item.

If you have more info, I'd like to know.

DCMatt

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Hi Matt, This is the part of the museum report that refers to the seal probably not being Italian.

Robert

Attachments

• report.jpg
    report.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 593

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rob,

No offense to your BM researcher, but I think the SANNITA ANALTARIE MARINE in not a correct reading. This text is gibberish compared to the correct Latin text on the other edge of the seal. I tried to reevaluate the lettering but I can't make much sense out of it. I think my interpretation of the letters has been clouded by the BM researcher's analysis.

Have a fresh, open mind look at it without seeing the BM information. I feel these words may hold the key to identifying your seal.

Devotion to the Scala Celi (sometimes spelled caeli or coeli) was important. I found a number of references to wealthy patrons leaving large sums of money to chapels to be used explicitly for Scala Celi funeral masses - which were thought to help speed the delivery of the soul from Purgatory into Heaven. This practice lead some monks to become executors of wills - a very lucrative business.

Don't give up on this find. It has a bigger story to tell!

DCMatt

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DCMatt said:
Rob,

No offense to your BM researcher, but I think the SANNITA ANALTARIE MARINE in not a correct reading. This text is gibberish compared to the correct Latin text on the other edge of the seal. I tried to reevaluate the lettering but I can't make much sense out of it. I think my interpretation of the letters has been clouded by the BM researcher's analysis.

Have a fresh, open mind look at it without seeing the BM information. I feel these words may hold the key to identifying your seal.

Devotion to the Scala Celi (sometimes spelled caeli or coeli) was important. I found a number of references to wealthy patrons leaving large sums of money to chapels to be used explicitly for Scala Celi funeral masses - which were thought to help speed the delivery of the soul from Purgatory into Heaven. This practice lead some monks to become executors of wills - a very lucrative business.

Don't give up on this find. It has a bigger story to tell!

DCMatt

agreed

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Thanks but I don't know how to take it any further at the moment. It's frustrating but one day who knows. When I found the seal the patina was terrible (it's since been professionally cleaned) it looked like it may have been in a fire. When this seal was lost in the 16Th century it was a very dangerous place to be for Roman Catholics especially Italian priests. Many Catholics were burnt at the stake !, think this seal as a tale to tell maybe a gruesome one.

HH-Robert.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rob,

If you will PM me with specifics on exactly where you found this item, I will try to dig a little deeper.

DCMatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread