DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this very ornate WWI Ring a few years back. I consider it one of my very best finds, not by value but by the fact that it is military and unique and by the fact that my inital job with the Army was Signal Corps. My hunting buddy and I found an old abandoned training site that had been recently uncovered by construction. This was one of many finds that I made there in several days. I have seen many WWI Sterling Silver Rings but none as ornate as this one. It has the winged eagle band, US Army in a cross on the front, the phrase "War Against Prussian Autocracy", around the face, the symbols for each branch of the Army at the time in the corners of the Cross with, Crossed Rifles (Infantry), Crossed Cannon (Artillery), Crossed Sabers (Cavalry), Castle (Engineers) and finally the Crossed Flags (Signal Corps) which is in its own prominent place at the top of the cross. Due to the fact that the Signal Corps Flags are where they are, I assume that this was a Signal Corps member's ring. The ring also has the date 1917 just below the cross on the face. It is marked inside the band with "W.B.N.Y. Copyrighted Sterling". I have found nothing related to this manufacturer on the web. I am not sure what the W.B. stands for but the N.Y. I am sure means New York.

This ring was in an area occupied by troops from New York and Pennsylvania. The ring is in near mint condition after laying in that spot for nearly 70 years. This site was amazing. Over about a one week period, we found a double handful each of silver coins predating 1918, tons of buttons, collar brass, ID Tags, a bugle, one billion Prince Albert Tobacco Cans, Insignia, many other personal items, mess kits, metal Colgate Toothpaste Tubes and the list goes on and on. It was my first virgin site I had ever found and we literally could not take a step without digging a relic or coin.

Hope you enjoy.

DaChief

Attachments

• IMG_4827.JPG
    IMG_4827.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,248
  • IMG_4816.JPG
    IMG_4816.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 2,040
  • IMG_4813.JPG
    IMG_4813.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,929
Upvote 4

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the site of a life time . Thanks for sharing!!

Urban Grund

Silver Member
Aug 5, 2007
Southeast Michigan (Roseville)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter > Sharp Shooter II & Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A "UNIQUE" find it is!!!!! That's something I would never part with! Unless, by some miracle, you were to find a family of the person who owned it.

Killiandured

Sep 28, 2009
I found a similar ring in my grandfather's outer garage some 30 years ago. It is identical to yours except that it bears the USN insignia. If ever you find out anything about this ring, please update me. Mine appears to be plated as it has the same copyright and is gold in color, but there is no 'k' or 'ss' markings.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is surely unique in its looks :icon_thumleft: Seems like you have a great site to hunt and will find old coins and cool relics. How much more of this site have you yet to hunt :dontknow:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool ring.

P

Pentico

Awesome ring find!
Not to many around my great uncle told me.
Congrats!
ChrisP

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
That is freaking cool. :hello2: It's my favorite and I didn't even find it. You should put it in a glass container on your mantle peice over the fire.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice piece of history. I wonder what happened to the gentleman that once owned it. That would be cool if you could find a family member to re-unite it with :-\

elblairo

Oct 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Navy ring

Hey folks I don't know if you will see this after so long but I found this on Gwynns Island in Mathews Va. I am also unable to find much info on it! Very pleasing find though! Happy Halloween!

Attachments

• 20171031_143423.jpg
    20171031_143423.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 20171031_143356.jpg
    20171031_143356.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 20171031_143410.jpg
    20171031_143410.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 124

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would Like to make a mold of that ring and make some in Gold and silver, the detail can also be brought back to a high degree, Great find!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread