Civil War Battle Ring

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, GPX4500, AT Pro, F75 LTD, DFX, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will soon be posting pics of a gold ring that a relative of mine owns. It is a gold ring with 16 battle names etched in it. The ring was featured in the North South Trader Civil War magazine in the mid 80's and then was voted Find of the Century by the subscribers around the year 2000. It has only been displayed at 2 or 3 relic shows. The last one was the Northern Virginia Relics Hunters show in Chantilly, VA in 2002. There were some great reactions by the public.

Anyway, I was excited for the chance to have photos taken of this and I will share them as soon as possible.

Upvote 3

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a awesome find, makes me wonder about the person that wore it and what he had gone thru. Thanks for the pics. :thumbsup:

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
RockyDig said:
Yes, FREDERICKSBURG does appear twice. I can only assume he was in two major fights around that area. You have to assume a lot looking at this ring. That is part of what makes this ring so amazing, just trying to imagine what this guy, a many like him, went through.

The Antiques Roadshow has been brought up....we will have to wait and see.

I may have to fill out the form for the W&ET on this website but I'd have to have permission from the ring's owner first.

Thanks for the great feedback!!!

If I am not correct the Federal force under Sedgewick left to hold Fredricksburg during the battle of Chanclorsville had orders to take Marye's heights from the token Confederate force Lee left to defend it. Sedgewick was understandbly wary after the the thrashing the Union had taken on those ridges in the first battle of Fredicksburg and was cautious about assaulting the token force emplaced there. Sedgewick finally assaulted and quickly forced the small unit of Rebels into retreat on the same day as the hottest action at Chancllorsville, May 3. This action is commonly reffered to as "The second battle of Fredricksburg".

It was too little to late. The Rebels mounted a delaying action at Salem crossing (I think, check that one out.) giving Lee time to turn and attack toward Sedewick and defeat him causing him to retreat across a ford of the Rappahannock.

Right, there were two battles of Fredricksburg!

I do have one question though.....WHY IS THIS NOT ON THE BANNER!!!!!!
Well, I am gonna do my part about that right now. I am voting to put this on the BANNER right now!!!! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
RockyDig

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just a bump in case some newer members haven't seen it.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Rocky,

This new member thanks you, for the bump that allowed me to see it. An amazing piece of history you have shown us, sir. Thank you.

On the research front, are you still pursuing the order of battles, and getting closer to that unknown soldier?

Was this ring unearthed by your relative? Was a metal detector used in it's discovery?

Thanks again.

ap_tomb_unknown_soldier_rain_ss_thg_121029_ssh.jpg

OP
OP
RockyDig

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was found by a metal detector by my uncle's best friend and hunting partner.

I have not sat down and done the research to narrow this down to a particular regiment yet. The spare time I do have nowadays is spent detecting. I will one day research it when the time comes.

Thanks for the reply!

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 w/dd coil...teknetics pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i see hanover courthouse on there...that is where i live and hunt!!! sweet

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
This ring belonged to a soldier who participated in many battles. I will have a complete list and pics very soon.

Hey Rocky,

I love a good mystery, and this is one of the best, I've seen. I read the thread, and don't recall seeing the engagements listed, though I kept hoping you'd post them. Being the old eyesight challenged guy that I am, I could not decipher all the battles.

With the minds of the members here, I wouldn't be surprised if you had a very detailed response with circles & arrows, historic troop movements, and a significantly narrowed field of focus by next tuesday, if not a list of possible candidates... were you to list the battles.

I can certainly understand if you want to do this yourself, but it seems a daunting task for a single individual. Whatever you choose to do, research wise; I wish you God's Speed, with this historic ring. Have you ever run it by the Smithsonian, or a like institution?

66708d1332347819-civil-war-battle-ring-fairoaks.jpg

66709d1332347819-civil-war-battle-ring-frdrks.jpg

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is an amazing ring, just incredible!!!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice:thumbsup: Congratulations:occasion14:

OP
OP
RockyDig

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just giving it a bump for 2015

stealthycat

Feb 17, 2012
Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pros
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that might be the single most coolest thing I've ever seen dug up -- just incredible, one of a kind .... its what everyone dreams of digging isn't it ?

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just ucking crazy my god that thing belongs in a civil war museum id be like a rock star with that thing have tour bus be touring all over the us telling everyone my story and just smiling like ell. I would have insurance on that ring lord knows what it could be worth and 16 battles yeah buddy that's what I call a find of a life time damn you got my praise going on and on. AWWWWWWWWWWWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!vanzutphen

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has to be the most unique find that I have ever seen in all my years of TH'ing! Congrats on a truly wonderful find!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
A find of a life time for sure, congrads to the owner.

Not sure if anyone has asked these questions before..
A couple questions about the ring, I'm surprised there is no makers mark or Hallmarks. Also is it solid gold or rolled gold as I think they called it then. Seems a ring of this magnitude would have put some kind of ID on it, one thing they took great pride in showing dates and ownership back then And no question the ring and it's authenticity, just seems strange all the details on the outside and none on the inside.

Thanks for posting....

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so is there a summary of this find without reading it all?
when was it made? could one soldier have fought in all those battles?
was it made many years later?

Esclav23

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2014
Harker Heights, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett GT 150 and White's 6000Di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yankee, I would think, since it lists 'Antietam', not Sharpsburg. Excellent find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread