Civil War Battle Ring

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, GPX4500, AT Pro, F75 LTD, DFX, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will soon be posting pics of a gold ring that a relative of mine owns. It is a gold ring with 16 battle names etched in it. The ring was featured in the North South Trader Civil War magazine in the mid 80's and then was voted Find of the Century by the subscribers around the year 2000. It has only been displayed at 2 or 3 relic shows. The last one was the Northern Virginia Relics Hunters show in Chantilly, VA in 2002. There were some great reactions by the public.

Anyway, I was excited for the chance to have photos taken of this and I will share them as soon as possible.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
RockyDig

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, it's hard to appraise a one of a kind relic like this. From what I understand the sky is the limit. This ring belonged to a soldier who participated in many battles. I will have a complete list and pics very soon.

Steeler Fan

Apr 3, 2005
That kinda relic I would consider priceless! That is a true piece of American hoistory and I cannot wait to see those pics! hurry up and post them ;D

Steeler Fan

OP
OP
RockyDig

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, here are the pics of the ring...please let me know what you think. This ring was dug in 1984 after being in the ground for around 115-120 years. It is in great shape considering the elements. It is gold plating on copper.

These pictures were taken by a local photographer Nate Rhodes. If you are interested in having great quality photos taken of your finds or if you'd like to let him know what you think of these pics just email him. His email address is [email protected].

Attachments

• 7ds.jpg
    7ds.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 15,726
  • fairoaks.jpg
    fairoaks.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 15,777
  • frdrks.jpg
    frdrks.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 15,630
  • gettysbg.jpg
    gettysbg.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 15,453
  • peter.jpg
    peter.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 15,351
  • river.jpg
    river.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 15,271
OP
OP
RockyDig

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...and the last one.

Attachments

• york.jpg
    york.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 15,172

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one word describes it - AWESOME!!!! Thanks for the pics!!

Steeler Fan

Apr 3, 2005
Simply incredible! Take that thing and lock it up in Fort Knox. You have some VERY special and unique. I would get it appraised by a reputable Civil War historian and get it insured. I am serious about that!

Thanks for sharing your story and pics with us! :)

Steeler Fan

A

ARCOMANDPURPLE

Must have taken quite a while to produce this ring,great craftsmanship...Congrats ARCOM

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very cool ring!!!, & story...
Do you know what any of the historians had to say about it?
Wheather it was made by the person himself, or did he have it made? Also, I know you said it was one of a kind, but I was wondering if any of the other men of that era did anything similar, as far as having something to show what battles they were in...
Again, cool post,,, Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
RockyDig

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is nothing known of the person who owned this ring. It was recovered outside of Winchester at one of Sheridan's camps.

Other men may have made items similar to this, I haven't seen any of them. What makes this ring unique is the battles that this person was involved, Cold Harbor, Antietam, and Gettysburg....these were great battles with huge losses. A lot of men didn't make it through even one of these battles.

It would be amazing to find any information of the person this ring belonged to. Maybe in time that will happen.

OP
OP
RockyDig

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe this was dug in a Union Camp. Based on the name structure it is Union. The South had different names for these battles.

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would encourage your relative to go to a taping of "Antiques Roadshow". The Civil War buffs there would wet themselves over that ring. It's amazing the info they can collect in a short amount of time when they huddle and put their heads together. That's one of the most awesome CW finds I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing!

Kent

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
I could be mistaken but it appears that FREDERICKSBURG appears twice on the ring.

I wonder what that implies, any thoughts?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
unbelievable find! ........and your right........just to survive antietum was a major accomplishment but gettysburgh as well!! this man absolutly saw the worst the war had to offer. this ring is a national treasure! thanks for sharing it with us.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
This is a great ring!! The man who wore it must have been very good at what he did. could it have been from a high ranking officer maybe?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread