IMG_1848.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 2,864
Upvote 0

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Very cool! Congrats, I'm very happy for you.

HH,
Pepper

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. How deep?

RonNewbie

Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, MXT
Man, that's a great find. I've found a bunch of coins over this last year but the oldest coin I've found so far has been a 1948 quarter...and I was thrilled. I don't know what I would do if I ever found something like this. Congratulations.

OP
OP
L

large cent hunter

Feb 28, 2007
I see I have a few questions to answer:

It was only about an inch down.

It read as a large cent! haha. A coin of this size will read pretty high on the scale, around "quarter" range.

It is not my best coin either. I've found some really good ones. Keep looking, and do your research! You'll find almost nothing in the obvious places. They were hunted out in the 1970's when metal detecting was big. I know, I know...nothing is "hunted out", but you'll have more fun hunting a place that's never been hunted before. I know I do! Just make sure you get permission first. And never ever leave a trace that you were there.

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on the large cent

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
An old topic ... I know, but I have a buddy that is into metal detecting. He found 26 pre-1900's coins in the bottom of an old well on his property. I guess it was a 'wishing well'. ;D

I don't know much about metal detecting since my thing is Indian Artifacts, but I'm becoming interested.

ark turtle

Nov 2, 2007
large cent hunter said:
Found this behind a house built around 1820, next to an old well. It's in much better shape than we're used to seeing in the northeast.

LargeCentHunter:

Just saw your coin, wish I could find one, I will keep looking.... Man you did good...

great Job.......

Ark Turtle

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should electrolysis it and get that crud off of it, It will be shinny for a few months, then it will turn a nice dark color, awesome find!!!! :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE.....My 1817 was found in a garden and I think all the chems used broke it down. Yours is in MUCH better shape! CONGRATS.... Keep EM' coming!

OP
OP
L

large cent hunter

Feb 28, 2007
treasurefiend said:
you should electrolysis it and get that crud off of it, It will be shinny for a few months, then it will turn a nice dark color, awesome find!!!! :thumbsup:

No. We don't clean our coins like that. Good way to ruin them. Especially with electrolysis. Best thing to use is olive oil. Give them a nice long soak. Electrolysis will remove some of the coin along with the "crud".

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Very nice and with some detail left, too. I dug one last year and you can hardly make anything out. Nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread