My shoe buckle finds

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
These are my colonial shoe buckle finds.
The only complete one (lower right) is the last one I found. I was surprised when I dug it up and it didn't fall apart in my hands. Some of the other parts in the pic were together when found, but fell apart when handled. I noticed the pins that held the parts together were made of iron, and rotted away. The complete one is the only one that has a brass pin. The only iron part is the belt pin thingy and I was glad to see that it was still there. It is amazing to see the variety and craftsmanship in them. Some are crude handmades, while some are more refined.

Attachments

• shbuckles.JPG
    shbuckles.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 403
Upvote 0

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool buckles MeinWV !

I have several identical to yours...Love digging colonial buckles !!

D. 8)

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
cavers5 said:
Very nice! Thanks for posting!

Cavers5

Thanks! I don't know much about them. Do you think there were regular production runs for certain buckles? I suppose there was!

Maybe cobblers had thier own styles developed.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
I don't know when mass production started for shoe buckles either here or in Europe. That would really make a good treasure magazine article though! Maybe somebody out there on Tnet will take a notion!

Cavers5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread