Religous Medals

Wayne from Maine

Mar 22, 2005
Portland Maine
Somewhere on the Forum someone said they would like to find a religious medal. I'm not sure if he was joking or not but it made me chuckle. R.M.'s early in my water hunting were only slightly better the a mem. Most of my early hunting was done in an area where there was a heavy Franc-American migration(nothing to do with spaghetti) from Canada, mostly catholics thus the many religious medals. They came in many shape and sizes, alot made of sterling some not.

1. This is 1/2 of my collection that's not silver!
2. A couple of Rosaries The one with the red beads was found in the water.
3. A few crosses the one on the left is bronze which is unusual.

Attachments

• religousmedals.jpg
    religousmedals.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 407
  • religousmedals2.jpg
    religousmedals2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 405
  • religousmedals3.jpg
    religousmedals3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wayne from Maine

Wayne from Maine

Mar 22, 2005
Portland Maine
4. Assorted shapes, Saints. A lot of St. Christophers, the patron saint of travelers, apparently there wasn't a patron saint of lost religious medals. The one at the top is old, back is in French.
5. So not to be bias, I found several Mezuzah'sfound at a summer camp that catered to rich Jewish kids..and a Universalist Star (probably before they joined with the Unitarians). And last but not least, my favorite gold and silver found behind home plate at Bates College.

Attachments

• religousmedals4.jpg
    religousmedals4.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 401
  • religousmedals5.jpg
    religousmedals5.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 406

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
reminds me of the scene in "The Mummy" when Benny starts pulling out all the religious medals when he sees the mummy! My favorite is the bottom right of the first post, the one that looks homemade! Great post, wonderful finds! HH omnicognic 8)

OP
OP
Wayne from Maine

Wayne from Maine

Mar 22, 2005
Portland Maine
The darn is thin and light, it sort of floated 6-8 feet away from where I was looking. I not sure of it's make I think it's maybe Greek or Russian Orthodox as we have a small community of both.

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
WOW Wayne,Tho's are nice,thought I had a few but darn you have a load.Thanks for the share,HH

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW!

Love it! Good stuff!

HH

Lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread