1916 D

animal

Aug 18, 2007
arlington texas
Detector(s) used
ace 250, Garrett GTI 2500 and Minelab Excalibur 800
Third post!
Ok! First off my in tensions on this site are to see who's out there and to see all the cool finds all you post and I don't look at the banner first I enjoy every body's posts.But my understanding of this situation is that I am fairly new to this site. So! If I find a 5 pound gold brick because I don't know Jeff of pa or am not buddies with half the people on this site my gold brick is a lesser find than jeff of pa's silver coin. I like chatting with fok on this site but if it is a popularity contest than something is wrong with this site. It didn't bother me when my coin did not make it on the banner. But how could one of the exact make it and not the other? I'm not trying to make no big stink out of this but some of the replies Just didn't seem fair or equal to every body. Abanner find is a banner find It shouldent matter who they are or how popular they are.

Second post!
about a year ago i found a 1916d merk I was so excited that I found a 1916d and then I was for sure that it would hit the banner. Never did! I saw the one that is on the banner now when it was posted. It took about an hour to get on the banner. I was wondering what the difference between his and mine is except mine is in better shape. I'm not beating his find because I think its great and I'm happy for him but i don't understand. Thanks and happy hunting!!!!!!!

Original post!
Hey all you gold diggers!
I've been watching y'all for a while, ooohing and aaawing at all your very nice finds. Well now, I'm going to show you what I've been blessed to wave my coil across. I started MDing on Feb. 5, 2007. I found a 1916d, my second silver coin on Feb. 23, 2008, a year and 18 days from my first swing. I found it in a historic park about an hour outside of Dallas, at about 6 inches. I'm adding a few pictures of other finds with my faithful ACE 250. I hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• 1916d1.jpg
    1916d1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 2,507
  • BEST OF-1.jpg
    BEST OF-1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2,522
  • OF2.jpg
    OF2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,743
Upvote 0

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh, Love Silver, Love Merc's more, 16d WOW... 8)
Awsome finds, can't wait to see what you find today... :thumbsup:

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just where out side of dallas did you say you found that used to live in that area. that is a great find and i am still waiting on mine. good luck it is going to be hard to top that find

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The chances of finding a 1916-D Merc is very slim, and finding one MDing is even more slim..you've beaten the odds by a LONG shot! I think someone here found an 1895-O Barber dime last year, so MDing miracles DO happen to a chosen few!

What a great find for you, congrats on your milestone.

WTG
Nat

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, :icon_jokercolor: when I first saw the pic I thought you found 2 small peices of a 1916 D merc :tongue3:
I found a 1916 Merc in great shape if only it was a D, I would be bill gates rich.

Keep @ it and HH!

Attachments

• Pat1 002.jpg
    Pat1 002.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,892

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the 1916D! I wonder what it is worth in that condition? No matter, owning/finding a coin with such a low mintage is awesome. A big congrats and welcome to the forum. HH, Mike

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
All right
Congrats. A couple of years ago I pulled out of the ground a 1916 Merc with a mint mark. I never wipe a silver coin off in the field because of the hairline scratches that degrade the value. It was pretty dirty. I was all psyched out to get home to properly clean it. It was a 1916 s . Oh well it was still nice to get my blood pumping.
Chris

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still drooling. :P
What a fantastic find!!!! Way to go.
-MM-

goldenapples

Aug 23, 2007
So.California
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Sunray X-1 Probe Sunray Gold Phones
Wow the holy grail of Mercury dimes :blob1: :blob8: :blob9: :wav:

Congrats, Your coin in that shape could go for around $1000-$1500 IMHO

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Wait...1916D?
I literally have a sock full of Mercury dimes, maybe 200+.
I inherited a large collection of old coins, now I have to go search through them.

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I can't answer as to why you didn't make banner and someone else did with an almost equivalent find. Sometimes the banner or lack of banner on this site just doesn't make sense to me. Plehbah has indicated one rationale.

I agree strongly with JCinNJ. A nice detail write up sent to Charles Garret would probably get you nicer recognition than a banner on this site.

Perhaps Marc, Jeff, or PBK can clarify the requirements for obtaining banner recognition. I certainly don't understand it.

Anyway, I too think you have some outstanding success for a new hunter with a relatively new machine. Isn't the 250 great!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread