1916 D

animal

Aug 18, 2007
arlington texas
Detector(s) used
ace 250, Garrett GTI 2500 and Minelab Excalibur 800
Third post!
Ok! First off my in tensions on this site are to see who's out there and to see all the cool finds all you post and I don't look at the banner first I enjoy every body's posts.But my understanding of this situation is that I am fairly new to this site. So! If I find a 5 pound gold brick because I don't know Jeff of pa or am not buddies with half the people on this site my gold brick is a lesser find than jeff of pa's silver coin. I like chatting with fok on this site but if it is a popularity contest than something is wrong with this site. It didn't bother me when my coin did not make it on the banner. But how could one of the exact make it and not the other? I'm not trying to make no big stink out of this but some of the replies Just didn't seem fair or equal to every body. Abanner find is a banner find It shouldent matter who they are or how popular they are.

Second post!
about a year ago i found a 1916d merk I was so excited that I found a 1916d and then I was for sure that it would hit the banner. Never did! I saw the one that is on the banner now when it was posted. It took about an hour to get on the banner. I was wondering what the difference between his and mine is except mine is in better shape. I'm not beating his find because I think its great and I'm happy for him but i don't understand. Thanks and happy hunting!!!!!!!

Original post!
Hey all you gold diggers!
I've been watching y'all for a while, ooohing and aaawing at all your very nice finds. Well now, I'm going to show you what I've been blessed to wave my coil across. I started MDing on Feb. 5, 2007. I found a 1916d, my second silver coin on Feb. 23, 2008, a year and 18 days from my first swing. I found it in a historic park about an hour outside of Dallas, at about 6 inches. I'm adding a few pictures of other finds with my faithful ACE 250. I hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• 1916d1.jpg
    1916d1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 2,507
  • BEST OF-1.jpg
    BEST OF-1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2,522
  • OF2.jpg
    OF2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,743
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only thing I can see

Posted this on : Mar 14, 2008, 09:24:07 PM
Original post!
Hey all you gold diggers!
I've been watching y'all for a while, ooohing and aaawing at etc.

this appears to be your First post here

So Possably This was your First Post ?
Or maybe second

Sorry New Members Don't make the banner

this is just a rule to get to know people and their intentions first.

The Present 1916-D Also received over 2 Dozen Reports for Banner
I Lost Count.

They are still coming in from those
who Don't look at the Banner first or at all :P

Only Beat by the St Gaudens $20.00 Gold for reports that I Remember

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember seeing this. Can't understand why it didn't make it. I recently found a Ryder-6 1786 Vermont Landscape Copper this spring.(My 2nd). (The first is my Avatar pic) The coin is in VF-EF shape. Maybe one or two of these are found a year. But NEVER in the shape these 2 were in. My first one made the banner but this one did not. I couldn't understand it either. Maybe it's because I made the Banner 3 times in 5 weeks between Aug.- Sept. last year. I DUNNO :dontknow:. I have the coin on EBAY right now and is at $700.00 with 3+ days left in the auction. Hoping for $1000.00 mark. Don't worry too much about the Banner or people on here, OOGLING, over your find. I know recognition on this site means alot to me, but not everything. If you would like to check this coin and auction out, the number is 330332742270. Good Luck and HH..........Hogge :thumbsup:

Attachments

• my14^001.jpg
    my14^001.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,208
  • my14^002.jpg
    my14^002.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,210
  • my14^001.jpg
    my14^001.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,213
  • my14^002.jpg
    my14^002.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,217
  • my23^001.jpg
    my23^001.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,206
  • my23^002.jpg
    my23^002.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,213

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
At least you found yours,I had to buy mine to finish my set.I think every great find should make the banner.
Really the banner is finding a find like that.I have never even come close to a banner find.But when I do
you will probably hear me before you see what I have found.Congrats on a super find $$$$ :thumbsup:

fortbball9

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
jeff of pa said:

Thanks Jeff for your response. I guess it's an answer, whether we agree or not. It does make sense to be somewhat protective of the banner content.

I guess any time a judgment call is involved in an action there will be some (even many on occasion) who do not agree.

Overall, I have to say the moderators here do about the best job of policing the forums of any major site. Not many sites with this many members and this much activity remain as household friendly as this one continues to be. Thanks for all the work you guys do.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the OP. It may be somewhat disenchanting to not make the banner from your perspective but it is clearly spelled out in the rules, it is NOT a popularity contest. Banner or not, you have a heck of a find and all things considered I'd be happy with that find.

Congrats! :wav:

Dan32981

Nov 11, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
billKY said:
jeff of pa said:

So if new members don't make the banner, "this is just a rule to get to know people and their intentions", how did a "new member" with 6 post, make banner with the coin spill??? All of us on this site have the same thing in common, love of metal detecting. What else do we need to know?

-Dan

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
All right
Congrats. A couple of years ago I pulled out of the ground a 1916 Merc with a mint mark. I never wipe a silver coin off in the field because of the hairline scratches that degrade the value. It was pretty dirty. I was all psyched out to get home to properly clean it. It was a 1916 s . Oh well it was still nice to get my blood pumping.
Chris
same thing happened to me last month, I dug a great shape 1916-s. I NEVER rub silver coins either, and when I found it, I just placed it in my bottle of water I carry for my silver coins. When I pulled it out I saw the 1916, my heart started pumping, flipped it over and saw a mintmark, I about fainted..........then I realized it was a "S" ....not a "D"..........oh well =)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, I wasn't a member here until July 2009. I love your other finds and hope to see more of them

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the rare silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread