Old Silver Ring and Civil War Bullet

Quester

Mar 1, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
XLT, Silvermax, Compadre
Thanks to Gypsy O'Leary and Mrs. Oroblanco for being so cool and helping me along with figuring out how to post pics!!!

I found an incredible ring at my towns university parade field, the field has the original cornerstone from the original admin building (I suppose) that dates to 1883 I believe.

It was my first find of the day, my brother was with me and he was surprised when he pulled it from the freshly turned over ground, I was stunned! They had just finished laying some pipe or whatever, it was about 4" down in the freshly dewed soft soil.

It looked like a heavy brass ring at first, it has a yellow/orangish stone (which through research appears to be a yellow topaz?) in a nice setting. Upon gently clearing the dirt off at home, I see the glint of silver!

The ring does not come together as a single piece, the two ends are rounded off. It looks very old and very meticulously crafted!

Plus across the street from where this was found, I got a solid hit and my bro dug down about 5" or less (if I remember correctly), to my shock, he pulls out a civil war era bullet! I about fell out. I took pictures of that too, they're very good pics so I'd like to share 'em with you all.

I also found a 1916 D Lincoln in the same area along the sidewalk. What a fun day!!!!

Attachments

• MD edit3.JPG
    MD edit3.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,220
  • MD edit8.jpg
    MD edit8.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 2,279
  • MD edit5.jpg
    MD edit5.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,218
  • MD edit6.jpg
    MD edit6.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 2,206
  • MD edit4.JPG
    MD edit4.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,209
  • MD edit7.jpg
    MD edit7.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 2,185
Upvote 0

jones791

Dec 6, 2007
Las Cruces
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50/ Minelab Etrac
Quester said:
thanks man i think i'll do that!
Take your ring to Jones and Company Jewelers! They deal in a lot of antique jewelry and honest as they come.

OP
OP
Quester

Quester

Mar 1, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
XLT, Silvermax, Compadre
cool, i hear their add all of the time on the radio. all of you are marvelous, thanks so much. HH!

Daddio53

Apr 5, 2008
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Tesoro Lobo, Tesoro Golden microMax
I don't believe this would be a silver ring. Silver may tarnish, but I don't think it cracks and pits like your ring seems to have. Is it possible that it might be pewter? Pewter is easy to heat up and pour with basically a pot and a fire. The only way you may be able to find out is to do a sratch and acid test and then you damage the ring more that it already is. Have you taken it to a jeweler to have it checked out?

OP
OP
Quester

Quester

Mar 1, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
XLT, Silvermax, Compadre
Daddio53 said:
I don't believe this would be a silver ring. Silver may tarnish, but I don't think it cracks and pits like your ring seems to have. Is it possible that it might be pewter? Pewter is easy to heat up and pour with basically a pot and a fire. The only way you may be able to find out is to do a sratch and acid test and then you damage the ring more that it already is. Have you taken it to a jeweler to have it checked out?

Hmm I hadn't considered that! You're right, it probably is pewter. I haven't had the chance to bring it to a jeweler yet, but I sure will. Thanks again :)

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Ring! Congrats.
HH,
Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread