Old Silver Ring and Civil War Bullet

Quester

Mar 1, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
XLT, Silvermax, Compadre
Thanks to Gypsy O'Leary and Mrs. Oroblanco for being so cool and helping me along with figuring out how to post pics!!!

I found an incredible ring at my towns university parade field, the field has the original cornerstone from the original admin building (I suppose) that dates to 1883 I believe.

It was my first find of the day, my brother was with me and he was surprised when he pulled it from the freshly turned over ground, I was stunned! They had just finished laying some pipe or whatever, it was about 4" down in the freshly dewed soft soil.

It looked like a heavy brass ring at first, it has a yellow/orangish stone (which through research appears to be a yellow topaz?) in a nice setting. Upon gently clearing the dirt off at home, I see the glint of silver!

The ring does not come together as a single piece, the two ends are rounded off. It looks very old and very meticulously crafted!

Plus across the street from where this was found, I got a solid hit and my bro dug down about 5" or less (if I remember correctly), to my shock, he pulls out a civil war era bullet! I about fell out. I took pictures of that too, they're very good pics so I'd like to share 'em with you all.

I also found a 1916 D Lincoln in the same area along the sidewalk. What a fun day!!!!

Attachments

• MD edit3.JPG
    MD edit3.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,221
  • MD edit8.jpg
    MD edit8.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 2,280
  • MD edit5.jpg
    MD edit5.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,219
  • MD edit6.jpg
    MD edit6.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 2,207
  • MD edit4.JPG
    MD edit4.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,210
  • MD edit7.jpg
    MD edit7.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 2,186
Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a feeling that your ring is very old but i dont know how old. It would be cool if it were Spanish ???

OP
OP
Quester

Quester

Mar 1, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
XLT, Silvermax, Compadre
I too wonder how old it is. Anyone venture an educated guess or have any other knowledge? It appears to be a sun with a crescent moon around it. No inscriptions that I can see inside the band.

What is the bullet called? Thanks for any info :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.

I guess the ring to be no older than 1900.

OP
OP
Quester

Quester

Mar 1, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
XLT, Silvermax, Compadre
CRUSADER said:
Nice finds.

I guess the ring to be no older than 1900.

I figured around 1890's to very early 1900's as well, but just an educated guess as far as the age of human activity around the area. The bullet was found across the street. I wish I could somehow find out more about the ring!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is just too, too, cool.

I don't have any info to add, but I sure would be trying to track down what it is, and what time period!

Congrats!!!!!!

B

OP
OP
Quester

Quester

Mar 1, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
XLT, Silvermax, Compadre
Thanks! I can't believe I found it. I've been getting skunked as far as finds lately. No silver to speak of this year, til this!!!

OP
OP
Quester

Quester

Mar 1, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
XLT, Silvermax, Compadre
The design appears to be French, as there are Fleur de Lis on the sides. Anyone know where I could research rings?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bullet is a three ring minie ball with two rings LOL!

I was actually thinking Spencer or picket bullet, but ya know...

Is the base of it solid or conical?

OP
OP
Quester

Quester

Mar 1, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
XLT, Silvermax, Compadre
Buckles For Jesus said:
That bullet is a three ring minie ball with two rings LOL!

I was actually thinking Spencer or picket bullet, but ya know...

Is the base of it solid or conical?

It is solid. Definitely 2 rings. Thanks :D

OP
OP
Quester

Quester

Mar 1, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
XLT, Silvermax, Compadre
I've been trying to find out some information about the ring, does anyone out there have any resources I can tap into? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Trashpicker

Greenie
Feb 20, 2008
NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS, Explorer II with X-1 Probe ,Minelab Eureka Gold
Quester.

Nice OLD ring...good find.. It was good talking to you earlier...we will catchup and hunt a ghost town or two.....Later, Trashpicker...

ark turtle

Nov 2, 2007
Quester said:
Thanks to Gypsy O'Leary and Mrs. Oroblanco for being so cool and helping me along with figuring out how to post pics!!!

I found an incredible ring at my towns university parade field, the field has the original cornerstone from the original admin building (I suppose) that dates to 1883 I believe.

It was my first find of the day, my brother was with me and he was surprised when he pulled it from the freshly turned over ground, I was stunned! They had just finished laying some pipe or whatever, it was about 4" down in the freshly dewed soft soil.

It looked like a heavy brass ring at first, it has a yellow/orangish stone (which through research appears to be a yellow topaz?) in a nice setting. Upon gently clearing the dirt off at home, I see the glint of silver!

The ring does not come together as a single piece, the two ends are rounded off. It looks very old and very meticulously crafted!

Plus across the street from where this was found, I got a solid hit and my bro dug down about 5" or less (if I remember correctly), to my shock, he pulls out a civil war era bullet! I about fell out. I took pictures of that too, they're very good pics so I'd like to share 'em with you all.

I also found a 1916 D Lincoln in the same area along the sidewalk. What a fun day!!!!

Good Job Great Find.......

ark turtle

OP
OP
Quester

Quester

Mar 1, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
XLT, Silvermax, Compadre
Thanks, you are all great. Trashpicker, great talking to you too! I look forward to an excursion or twelve. :thumbsup:

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
I'd take it to a trusted jeweler ( if there is such a thing :D) To see if what the stone could be.
They may have a little info being they see many rings brought in for appraisal.

Cool find !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread