Finds from the 80s and later

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Finds from the '80s and later

These are just some of my past finds. I didn't take photos of everything I found but I'm glad I recorded these finds.

#1 - Found in my first 6 months with a White's 6/DB in Los Angeles.
#2 - 1,700 clad cents that did not require cleaning!
#3 - Walking Liberty half without Adolph A. Weinman initials. Wasn't worth anything!
#4 - First treasure found without a detector, courtesy of the local bank. I wrote my first article about this in 1993.
#5 - All silver! WL, SL, Barbers, Liberty dimes ("Mercury"), JFK, Franklin, Roosevelt.
#6 - Clad quarters
#7 - A visual meter - crap on top, goodies on bottom, same meter markings

Attachments

• THing 4.JPG
    THing 4.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,243
  • THing 5.JPG
    THing 5.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,229
  • THing 7.JPG
    THing 7.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,235
  • THing 8.JPG
    THing 8.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,238
  • THing 9.JPG
    THing 9.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,225
  • THing 10.JPG
    THing 10.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,219
  • THing 13.JPG
    THing 13.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,216
  • THing 4.JPG
    THing 4.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,238
  • THing 5.JPG
    THing 5.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,231
  • THing 7.JPG
    THing 7.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,228
  • THing 8.JPG
    THing 8.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,243
  • THing 9.JPG
    THing 9.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,227
  • THing 10.JPG
    THing 10.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,227
  • THing 13.JPG
    THing 13.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,220
Upvote 0

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Re: Finds from the '80s and later

Hey Fox

that is a passel of coins in the photo and finding a roll of walking liberty halves is pretty spectacular as well.

thanks for sharing

HH

sanat

S

seger98

wow, nice collection, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

Look at all that silver! You sure spent a lot of time detecting all of that! Good job! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star

Detectingfreak said:
Look at all that silver! You sure spent a lot of time detecting all of that! Good job! :thumbsup:
It's always the first silver coin that one finds that is a permanent memory no matter how many one finds. It was a 1930s Walker in Extra Fine condition found between the curb edge and the grass edge. I was so happy finding that HUGE chunk of silver that I took I proudly showed it to a limousine driver sitting in the limo just a few feet away. But as sometimes happen I got careless with it and dropped it while in the bathroom giving it a light wash. It slipped from my hands, hit the floor which was hard enough to put a slight dent on the edge of the coin. It was a slight dent but it was visible from a mile away as far as I was concerned.

Another good memory is finding 4 Walkers inches from each other. What a day!

The roll was a shocker and it became the topic of my first magazine article that appeared in Treasure Facts (Lost Treasure) in 1993.

pattiewhack

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Congrats on all the nice finds over the Years! Would've loved to have found those Halves in that roll!

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star

pattiewhack said:
Congrats on all the nice finds over the Years! Would've loved to have found those Halves in that roll!
When I was given the roll by the bank teller I put in my pocket to look through it at home. It had been rolled by a customer 'cause it had an account number written on the roll. I really wanted a roll from the mint and I almost gave the roll back to the teller.

At home, sitting down on the sofa and opening one end I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was so exciting seeing all of those silver halves but especially the Walkers I couldn't continue sitting on the sofa and got and wandered around the apartment muttering to myself!

Now, when I ask for halves at the bank I draw a blank. I read where some people buy boxes of halves for $500 or so and find a few mostly JFK 40% and one said he got Barbers! Never give up!

SF

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star

Indian Head Jones said:
SWEET!!! Spectacular finds...awesome collection! :thumbsup:

Larry G.
Hi Larry G: Thanks for reviving this ol' thread. There's nothing left, I enjoyed finding them, cashing them in, and spending them. But as the old saying goes, the thrill is in the hunt!

Edward

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions