Piece of History

tlmothy

Greenie
Mar 11, 2006
Japan.
Hello everyone

This is my first time posting anything here in the forum. I do however lurk around reading posts. I am not sure if this would be considered a "best find". But here goes.

A family friend in his late 80's had passed away recently. John originally was a Pilot in WW2 for Germany. After the war he moved on to work for U.S government counter-intelligence, and much later worked as a district manager for the Pinkerton's company.

After his passing I asked to keep a few of his things, including his whole picture collection (over 200 pictures), A Nasa jacket, a vintage racing jacket from his alpha Romeo days, and more.

John had known my mother for more than 15 years and had no family left. Much of the time I spent with him I heard many amazing stories.

I think his photo collection is a treasure. I am planning to do a memorial website with a guest book and a gallery of all his photo's. But for now I just have a picasa gallery. Here are some of the pictures. I scanned everything my self.

omegafront.jpg

Johns original Omega Professional Mark 2 watch.
badge.jpg

Johns pinkerton Badge

26.jpg

John as a pilot
25.jpg

168.jpg

Mr Jesse Owens
John was an "Olympic Hopeful" at the Berlin Olympic games. He stayed and practiced with US team During the Olympics.

166.jpg

Another member of the US Team. Don't know his name.

16.jpg

John

115.jpg

12.jpg

21.jpg

Johns first wife

Check out the whole Gallery here. It's an amazing piece of History.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/tmothy/John

I have to go but I will post some more info when I have time.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Hey Timothy

First off... Welcome to Treasurenet

The pictures you have are awesome. Too bad that he was unable to share with you the significance of each picture... never the less, they are splendid.

thanks for sharing with us

Happy Hunting

Sanat

OP
OP
T

tlmothy

Greenie
Mar 11, 2006
Japan.
More Scanns

I have scanned a few of his things.

Passport.jpg

Johns 1950's German Passport

press.jpg

Canadian National Exhibition Press Pin

stopwatch.jpg

Stop watch from his track and field days.

patch1.jpg

John had told me he got this patch while consulting for Nasa

OP
OP
T

tlmothy

Greenie
Mar 11, 2006
Japan.
Glad you guys enjoyed the pictures. I will be scanning more things soon.
I have 3 of his original German flight books.

From what John told me he shot down 32 allied airplanes in ww2, and was the youngest German flight instruction at the time. Unfortunately he said the he lost all his medals after ww2, including the Iron Cross.

I have loads of stories and I will post them once I have time

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you here. That is a lot of great history that you have there. Great idea to put all of this together.

OP
OP
T

tlmothy

Greenie
Mar 11, 2006
Japan.
Everything here is from my memory and I will do my best to remember.

Escaping the War Part 1

John had told me he was fighting on the front lines as a pilot near the end of WW2. Knowing that the war was almost over and all was lost, John decided enough was enough and planned to make an escape by airplane. Unfortunately while escaping by air an allied plane had shot him down.

John had said that his planes cockpit had a very thick metal shield, enough to stop bullets. This heavy shield pinned him inside the aircraft after crash-landed, leaving him unable to escape.

Unfortunately John was picked up by the Russian army some time later and made to march with thousands of other POW's towards Russian's notorious labour camps. This was a death sentence for thousands of people and John new that.

Previously to the war john had surgery on his leg. "From my track days". After that John pulls up his pant leg and shows me a 5 inch scar near the knee.

On the march to the camps john had played up his leg scar enough to get a medical examination by a nurse. "She spoke both English and Russian, a very smart lady". He knew exactly where to say it hurt and where not to say it hurt.

Next (Medical examination, escape).
Soon….

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
John lived the life that a bunch of people dream of. He also had great taste in women.lol
Joe

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Truly fascinating history! I am glad to hear that you are preserving it and very glad you are sharing it with us as well. Thanks!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deleted...decided to keep my political and ethical beliefs to myself...

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very Cool Posting Timothy.....Definetley a Piece Of History,thank's for sharing the past!!

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Very cool... always neat to see a window into history that isn't on TV!

Side note, his wife was a looker :thumbsup:

cammobunker

May 27, 2008
NW Ar-kan-saw
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Mojave, Cibola. Deteknix Pinpointer. Mark I Mod 0 eyeball, too.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fascinating! This man was quite a fellow, who obviously had very fine taste in clothing and ladies :icon_pirat:

Let me shed some light on the four Luftwaffe pilots shot.

All four men in the photo are pilots. The man on the left, with the binoculars, is an officer (cord on his hat says so, although can't see his shoulders so exact rank is a mystery). He wears the Iron Cross, first class, on his leather flying jacket. He wears cloth flying pants.
John has leather flying pants, unlined, and a leather flying jacket. His shoulder straps mark him as a "full sergeant". He has a standard Luftwaffe belt, probably with a pistol on. His hat is the M-43 style that became ubiquitous after summer 1943.
The man next to him wears the Flying Tunic over the one piece flying coverall. He has a pilots' badge, the ribbon for the Iron Cross second class, and the "ground support squadron" flying clasp over his left pocket. This clasp was not introduced until early 1944. His rank is "Junior Sergeant", the lowest flying rank. Note the white silk scarf; pilots often wore silk scarves to keep the neck from chafing against rough leather flying togs.
The man on the far right is also wearing the flying tunic, but in addition to pilot badge, IC 2nd class ribbon and "ground support squadron" clasp, he also wears the Iron Cross first class (hot stuff for an enlisted man, that) and a wound badge in silver (three or more wounds sustained in action). He has a flashlight on his belt.

The mix of flying gear says probably spring or fall, and the Ground Support Squadron clasps they are wearing makes me think Fall 1944 is the probable time frame of this picture. I would bet they are waiting for missing friends to return from a mission. They look as though they have just landed themselves, as all are still wearing flying gloves. The man in the white silk scarf seems to have his flying helmet and goggles in hand, and the fellow behind him has a map protruding from his thigh pocket.

Edited to add: That clasp means they are either flying Stukas or FW190s, with cannons and rocket rails/bomb racks to attack tanks and troops from the air. Almost certainly this is on the eastern front. Considering the aircraft posted in this series of photos are very early JU87A Stukas, this adds up to John being one very lucky man. Very, very few Stuka pilots survived.

Fascinating pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread