My favorite and probably best find

vegas247

Mar 25, 2008
Portland,OR
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT/Ace 250/ X-terra70/ whites xl pro
Found this 1905 $10 gold piece in Nelson,NV ( elderado canyon) a true shoot em up town in the old days with only one gold mine the techicup. Using an MXT in coin mode I was just messing around in a wash I switched to prospect mode and scan the sides of this was about 10' high as I scanned my detector went nuts under a Joshua tree the had grown out of the middle of the wash about 4' up. I switched to coin mode and the machine went crazy $1/2cnts/ silver/ penny etc..... and of course IRON I know it was a miners tin because in the desert I'd picked up a few hundred decided to dig it out anyway about a foot in a miners tin pops out sure enough as the place was littered with them I was gonna toss is it was heavy figured full of dirt. but noticed to holes unopened! 1st time I'd seen one not rotted away popped it open and after several layers out cam a burlap sack with silver dollars/Indian heads/ and this gold piece most of the coins on my avatar came from this stash. you could have heard me dancing and screaming in Vegas 50 miles away! Best moment ever second to my first .03 gram nugget stared at me out of the red clay! thanks for reading the post sadly I had some trouble's and sold the coin when gold was at %$340.00 and I never had it graded but It was in great condition maybe a 50 not sure but it had few flaws worth 6X'S what I sold it for now : ( along with the sentimental value.

Attachments

• 1905 10 gold piece.JPG
    1905 10 gold piece.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,694
Upvote 0

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man... fantastic find!! *banner*

Bran <><

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Doggone it, I missed that one when I was down there. I loved hunting around Nelson, some nice Bighorn in that canyon. Big ol' rattlers, too.

I wanted to hunt around the old cyanide plants, but had no idea who to ask for permission.

OP
OP
vegas247

vegas247

Mar 25, 2008
Portland,OR
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT/Ace 250/ X-terra70/ whites xl pro
Thanks all that coin barely had a scratch on it unbelievable I know..  sold it bcuz I was really in bad shape before I sold my my house I still have rental in Vegas. I know the coin was buried around the 40's because there were Mercury dimes in the 40's range along with the Morgans... now that I'm into coin shooting full times I the best I've done is a 1906 an 1909 Wheaties amazing how things work I never had the coin graded but I would assume it was MS 50 or above is was the most beautiful coin I'd ever seen! Thanks for your great responses I will never say what I sold the coin for because gold was $280.00 an Oz. at the time lets just say If I had it now at a minimum it would have been worth 15X+ after checking the value if graded  :BangHead:  well hopefully karma will help me out a little and help me find a Spanish   coin  there on the OR/WA coast!  :icon_thumleft:

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Hit the Oregon forum for some leads, theres a couple people up your way you could hook up with if ya wanna. Also, we're doing a couple trips here soon, one to Plush to mine sunstones, and one to John Day for a campout/ detecting trip. Check Member hunts and hiking/camping forums.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread