ring in found without digging!! they must think i was on drugs!!

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this ring in a parking lot, couldn't believe it when i found it, haven't heard of anyone missing a ring in that area as i keep checking,etc.. sorry for the pic being a bit blurry....

100_4887-1.jpg

Upvote 0

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
Awesome ring Bro, i only wish you were feeling better so you could have laughed a little louder at that a__ whole, try finding a reputable jeweler who advertises in your area usually in a larger town or nearest city...
Limo Bob :icon_pirat:

PS. start out by asking them if they have a jewelery cleaner and if so would they mind cleaning it and giving you an estimate on its value and that you are considering purchasing some jewelery and would like to deal with a facility that offers these services to there customers :thumbsup:

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
My approach is straight forward when dealing with coin or jewelry dealers. I ask if there is any info that they can give me about the said object and explain that I am not interested in parting with it. If the store is not busy 90% of the time they will pull out a loupe, diamond tester or even test the object just to authenticate it and arrive at a retail price in their head.
You just have to let them do most of the talking. They want to find out specifics because the dealer may offer you $$$ even if you come in with the base of "getting info." This holds true for private shops. Retail chain jewelry stores will have ya send it out and pay probably. I never explain that I found it (just for safety), I always blame my wife for having spare jewelry that she doesn't want and use that for my argument or say it's a sentimental piece that I always wanted to know more about.
The guy who offered you $40 is as useless as cash for gold.com. Shop around. Take that ring to several places and watch how much the dollar value opinions vary. Stay FAR away from pawn shops. Ok, go to one and see how horrible their offers are. I realize that they need to make a profit, but largely they are kept in business by thiefs, addicts and very desperate folks who need cash fast.

Just my take on what I've experienced. The best way is to learn a little about jewelry is through books and on the internet. The true beauty is having access to a dealer who will give a "fair" price. You need to know what you have before you take it to sale so you can get the maximum $$$.

OP
OP
YankeeDownSouthAdv.

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rico,

thanks will take your info to memory for future endevours...and thanks to everyone else for their kind words..gregg

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ocalasix said:
any thoughts folks?...gregg

Get a diamond tester !!! they are cheap in the long run

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took mine to a local pawn shop and the kid said 20 dollars. What an insult. I even said," you think I'm stupid?" and walked out >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread