Memorial Day Barber find!

Formula1BMW

May 29, 2008
Montgomery, AL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
OK, I have only been at this for two months now, but this is the best find I've come across so far. I found it right in the middle of my front yard about 3"-4" deep. I have found a bunch of pennies and other clad, but this is the only silver coin anyway (found a silver ring also) so far.

I know these are not the best, this coin looks pretty good actually, not so good with the digital pics as of yet, anyone have any tips to taking good coin photos, PLEASE feel free to share with me. Thanks. This site is awesome! Everyone has so much to add, and really help a new guy who is really getting the bug to dig!

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 690
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 692
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Formula1BMW

Formula1BMW

May 29, 2008
Montgomery, AL
Detector(s) used
plehbah said:
The sweet deep reading. I hope you savored that one.

All of my good coins sound like scratchy nails, deep pulltabs on edge, or they are sitting in plain sight in the craziest of places.

Hey, thanks! I'm still really new to this, so is 3''-4'' considered a deep reading?

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
Formula1BMW said:
plehbah said:
The sweet deep reading. I hope you savored that one.

All of my good coins sound like scratchy nails, deep pulltabs on edge, or they are sitting in plain sight in the craziest of places.

Hey, thanks! I'm still really new to this, so is 3''-4'' considered a deep reading?
nice quarter. sounds like your yard is a hot area. i'm no camera man but i know the sound of a good hunt site. good luck! (skill)

OP
OP
Formula1BMW

Formula1BMW

May 29, 2008
Montgomery, AL
Detector(s) used
Thanks, I appreciate it. Well, I have pulled many clad coins so far, but I'm hoping it is a really hot area myself. Still learning to detect, so hopefully I'm not missing the good stuff!!! :o

OP
OP
Formula1BMW

Formula1BMW

May 29, 2008
Montgomery, AL
Detector(s) used
plehbah said:
Four inches on a quarter I would not consider to be deep as far as machine expectations, but it is deep enough to be silver!

People have varying opinions on the matter, but I think that five or six inches is the magic number for me when it comes to old coinage. Like the rest, I have also found many others at varying depths, with many being extremely shallow.

I think that you have to maximize the capabilities of your equipment. It helps to have a flexible approach, and to give priority to sites where you can use a technological edge.

I have abandoned deep turf silver hunting for the time being to the SE fellows. They are ok with this and I am too. I use my very old Spectrum with a small coil in different types of places where I am not concerned with them having an advantage.

You are certainly off to a good start. That is a nice quarter. It took me many years to find my first!

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate the input. I think I still have a lot to learn with the detector, I really think I am missing a lot more that is in my yard...I can tell just by dropping a nickel in a hole about 6''. Depending on which direction I hit the target from, my machine will tell my anything from a quarter,penny, nickel, and bounce around a iron/foil signal depending on if I'm right on the coin...AHHH! Frustration, how many more of these or similar type coins are being missed or are deeper!?!? Now I'm getting so hooked on this, I think I might have to go with a excellent quality detector. I have found so many coins, nothing of any value, just clad, but I get so many signals that are hard to determine if anything is really there. For a couple of seconds it is, then it is gone. Thanks for listening to ramblings of a newbie...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions