Folsom Point

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I found this in a cookie tin that was given to me. It had sat on a shelf for at least 15 years prior to me getting it. I had no idea what it was only that I liked the shape and quality of it and I was interested in how it was made because it doesn't look easy to whittle.
I posted this and was promptly informed it might be a "holy grail" type of Indian point called a Folsom. If it were real it would be worth a good bit of money apparently. I have just learned that it is a real point from the person who actually bent over and picked it up in NM in the early 70s while on leave from an Airbase.

As I researched this type I learned just how difficult they were to make and that few are found in whole condition as they were used and resharpened and repaired until they were useless. It seems broken ones are even worth something due to their rarity, beauty and extreme age. Paleolithic Native American Indians made these in and around 11,000 years ago.
Granted I didn't dig it up, I didn't find it in the mesa or buy it at an auction, but I did find it in a forgotten tin on a dusty shelf in an old cabin. I own it now and I did learn a lot about it from the AWESOME folks who post here and share my love for Indian history, artifacts and points. It is now amongst my finest and most treasured possessions.

Attachments

• IMG_1433.jpg
    IMG_1433.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 912
  • IMG_1434.jpg
    IMG_1434.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 915
Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find, I was lucky enough to dig one once.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread