1753 half pence and a lady in 1945

R

robbuckalew

I don't know if this is good enough to post but I'll post anyway.

these are my best finds to date

The walker i found in my yard about 5 inches
and the half penny i found at my mothers house in south Jersey about 10-12 inches down.
I believe it is dated 1747.
but if somebody can confirm that for me or read it better thanx. :thumbsup:
IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man. All of the coppers I find come out of the ground corroded. Even the few I've found that werent corroded were very green in color. Yours looks good. It has a very brown color to it. I would love to find one like that. Don't see alot of them like that. What did you do to clean it?

OP
OP
R

robbuckalew

the wierd thing is this is how it came out of the ground.
other than cleaning it carefully with a brush wiping off the dirt.
now there was an aluminum can directly ontop of it meaning when i picked the can up there was the coin staring me in the face.

i think the can kept it as clean as it was.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robbuckalew said:
now there was an aluminum can directly ontop of it meaning when i picked the can up there was the coin staring me in the face.

Congratulations. Definitely one for the "keeper" box. :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robbuckalew said:

If the Aluminum can didn't date from the 18th century, then my archeological brain tells me that the can was place there at the same time as the coin or they wouldn't be the same depth. Someone did this on purpose, hence why the coin looks like it only spent a few years in the soil. IMHO

Other ideas welcome?

(I'm not questioning that you dug this, only guessing what may have happened)

I've yet to find one that nice in the UK, & they are a weekly find for me. Maybe one day :)

OP
OP
R

robbuckalew

willieboyd2 said:
You seem awfully calm.

Most of the posters here go wild when they find a silver coin,
and even wilder for a "Walker".

I am sorry, am I supposed to scream and jump up and down...I think I'll save that for a gold coin.
Question me if you want, I would do the same thing, but why would I lie about something to people I don't even know or anybody for that matter. I know where this was dug and I guess my post's are unwanted & unappreciated. That's ok with me, less work to do. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robbuckalew said:
willieboyd2 said:
You seem awfully calm.

Most of the posters here go wild when they find a silver coin,
and even wilder for a "Walker".

I am sorry, am I supposed to scream and jump up and down...I think I'll save that for a gold coin.
Question me if you want, I would do the same thing, but why would I lie about something to people I don't even know or anybody for that matter. I know where this was dug and I guess my post's are unwanted & unappreciated. That's ok with me, less work to do. :thumbsup:

I was going to make a nice reply to your great finds--until I saw how defensive you were getting. Why is that? :-X

How many walkers have you dug? How many KGII's? In 16 years, I haven't dug too many of the first, and not a single example of the second...

Buckles

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here we go again thanks to the the T-Net Police. I my personal opinion, I think that all of you doubters should leave the guy alone. The guy said that he dug the items. You have no other evidence to the contrary. If you do not think his post is fact, thats your choice. No need to jump him and make a mob hit over it. I once dug a 1720 KG I at a very deep depth and was basically put on trial here about the validity of that depth. My coin was dark like his and it was a genuine dug item. If you keep it up with your ignorance, you will eventually ruin the site. It's just a hobby guys, relax a little.

For the author of the post, very nice job and thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smokedaddy said:
Here we go again thanks to the the T-Net Police. I my personal opinion, I think that all of you doubters should leave the guy alone. The guy said that he dug the items. You have no other evidence to the contrary. If you do not think his post is fact, thats your choice. No need to jump him and make a mob hit over it. I once dug a 1720 KG I at a very deep depth and was basically put on trial here about the validity of that depth. My coin was dark like his and it was a genuine dug item. If you keep it up with your ignorance, you will eventually ruin the site. It's just a hobby guys, relax a little.

For the author of the post, very nice job and thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

I'm hoping the 't-net' Police & 'doubter' comments is not aimed at me? or is it smokedaddy? If I get questions, I answer them, care to give me any?

For the author of this post, its a very nice find, one I'm likely to never get due to poor soil conditions.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going on the copper found in South Jersey! The condition of this copper is not unusual for this area of NJ, check out my post of 12 coppers, all found within 30 miles of the 1753 Half Penny in this post. South Jersey soils, depending upon how well drained and lack of fertilizers result is coppers being found in that condition quite often. It is not unusual for this area at all to find some coppers in excellent shape.

Pocono Rob's KGII copper appears to be a regal one and they do handle the soil better overall than a counterfeit would. Most counterfeits are either debased or much thinner and more susceptible to corrosion, and since the vast majority of KGIII coppers are counterfeit, they are the ones found usually in the worst shape. KGII coppers had more Regals circulating here and are rather hefty coins that do well in the ground compared to the KGIII.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,119986.0.html

Don

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Nice going on the copper found in South Jersey! The condition of this copper is not unusual for this area of NJ, check out my post of 12 coppers, all found within 30 miles of the 1753 Half Penny in this post. South Jersey soils, depending upon how well drained and lack of fertilizers result is coppers being found in that condition quite often. It is not unusual for this area at all to find some coppers in excellent shape.

Pocono Rob's KGII copper appears to be a regal one and they do handle the soil better overall than a counterfeit would. Most counterfeits are either debased or much thinner and more susceptible to corrosion, and since the vast majority of KGIII coppers are counterfeit, they are the ones found usually in the worst shape. KGII coppers had more Regals circulating here and are rather hefty coins that do well in the ground compared to the KGIII.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,119986.0.html

Don

Agreed, but the Aluminium can needs explaining, any ideas?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
robbuckalew said:

If the Aluminum can didn't date from the 18th century, then my archeological brain tells me that the can was place there at the same time as the coin or they wouldn't be the same depth. Someone did this on purpose, hence why the coin looks like it only spent a few years in the soil. IMHO

Other ideas welcome?

I've yet to find one that nice in the UK, & they are a weekly find for me. Maybe one day :)

Totally agree. I've had hundreds upon hundreds of dug George coppers vs non dug go though my hands and without a doubt it fits the condition of low grade non dug. I don't care to be called the forum police, or really get involved in a bunch of back and forth posts, and most importantly I'm not saying it wasn't found... but it is what it is, or appears so.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
robbuckalew said:

Other ideas welcome?

Totally agree. I've had hundreds upon hundreds of dug George coppers vs non dug go though my hands and without a doubt it fits the condition of low grade non dug. I don't care to be called the forum police, or really get involved in a bunch of back and forth posts, and most importantly I'm not saying it wasn't found... but it is what it is, or appears so.

I agree with you; it is what it is.

Part of an increasing body of evidence!

Maybe we can split a cab sometime and talk some more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread