$2000 Shirt

zuni30

Jun 29, 2008
I live in upstate Indiana and there's no garage sales in the winter.So,I got into second hand clothing about 2 years ago.It was easy to find and is in just about every thrift store that I go into. I couldn't believe what some vintage clothes were going for. Last July I bought a shirt for $4 and I sold it 4 days later for $2000! Needless to say,it has been my best return ever. Check it out

http://www.thehanashirtco.com/?p=view_private_reserve&product_id=1357&keywords=mcgregor

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool ! & Congrats on the find !

But how do you Know ?

maybe I should try to sell them this one from the 50's :P

Picture 005.jpg
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 008.jpg

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I'd like to know how you know also.

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice shirt! I spend a lot of time in resale shops and have seen a lot of bargens.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noodle said:
First post from this person. Commercial. Don't fret. -Noodle

I wondered But I will take him at his word.

That's what we're about right ?

OP
OP
Z

zuni30

Jun 29, 2008
zuni30 said:
I live in upstate Indiana and there's no garage sales in the winter.So,I got into second hand clothing about 2 years ago.It was easy to find and is in just about every thrift store that I go into. I couldn't believe what some vintage clothes were going for. Last July I bought a shirt for $4 and I sold it 4 days later for $2000! Needless to say,it has been my best return ever. Check it out

http://www.thehanashirtco.com/?p=view_private_reserve&product_id=1357&keywords=mcgregor

Not every shirt is worth $2000.I figured $500 -$600 when I pulled it from the rack.I sold it about an hour after listing it.I still wonder what it is really worth.To answer the questions of how to know when a Hawaiian shirt is worth something here are a few tips.Do research before buying.Vintage Hawaiian shirts usually have button loop collars,coconut husk buttons,matching chest pockets,and horizontal button holes.About 95% of valuable Hawaiian shirts are made of Rayon. Pre 1962 companies were not required to inform the consumer of fabric contents.So shirts that are rayon and don't have fabric contents tags are a good sign.Some silk and cotton shirts are the other 5%.Most Hawaiian shirts are made in Hawaii.Some exceptions are made in USA,California,Japan and Korea.Never Taiwan,China or Hong Kong.Pay attention to the fonts and scripts on the neck tags as they give away a lot of info.You will never see a computer generated tag on a good Hawaiian shirt.Sometimes the fabric might be handprinted,so look for fabric titles and dates on the selvage.Go through high priced lists on ebay like I did and you can learn more.I got turned on to vintage clothing by looking at an auction for 2 pair of pre-WW II Levis 501 jeans that were still new with tags that sold for $14,000.I've been studying clothing high priced lists since and that was 2 years ago.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
junior967 said:
Where you at in Indiana? I have never heard Northern Indiana being refered to as " Upstate Indiana "....LOL
its south east of upper illinois :icon_study: ;D

Native1858

Oct 12, 2008
Colorado Springs
Yeppers, you never can tell. I went through alot of old books I had and started listing them on Amazon. I found out I had an old, but in great shape, book about fixing Ford V six motors that I bought for $25.00 years back from classic motorbooks. I typed it in to amazon and it was listing for $250.00 ten years after I bought it. Needless to say I listed it, sold it, in about three weeks-simply becsue I listed for $25 less than the others. I got $225.00 for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread