England Best Finds

spritch

Sep 13, 2007
Commerce,Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites MXT
I had hoped to find something on this trip that was unusual from Roman or Celtic times. They took us to an unhunted farm with high grass, not a great sign but we persevered. At the top of the hill (in shorter grass) I got my first signal- an unrecognizable roman coin but a good sign. About ten minutes later, behind the very smelly pig pen I got a signal at about 4 inches. Up popped a brass dolphin emblen similar to those seen on many Roman ruins. I was ecstatic but the day wasn't over. They took us to a plowed field with very few targets. Lots of grumbling from hunters but I stayed at it until I found some pottery shards. I hunkered down around them finding several buttons. Then I got a very string signal. Digging down 6 inches and it was still in the hole. One more shovel full and a beautiful brass sword pommel from either a celtic or roman sword popped up. What a hunt. Found other buttons and such but that was the good stuff.

Stuart

Attachments

• Roman Dolphin 1.JPG
    Roman Dolphin 1.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 614
  • Sword Pommel- Celtic or Roman- Side 1.JPG
    Sword Pommel- Celtic or Roman- Side 1.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 586
Upvote 0
OP
OP
spritch

spritch

Sep 13, 2007
Commerce,Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites MXT
Dolphin picture needs some help

Attachments

• Roman Dolphin 1.JPG
    Roman Dolphin 1.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 616

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enviable finds! Were you taking a metal detecting trip in England from another country? I can't imagine pulling something like that dolphin out of the ground. Congratulations!

OP
OP
spritch

spritch

Sep 13, 2007
Commerce,Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites MXT
I went with the Jimmy Sierra group so I'm here in the good ole USA. (Just moved to North Texas if anyone needs a hunting partner. )
Hope to go again soon.

Stuart

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow...I love to hear about those trips. :)

It sounds like you persevered and dug some great things. Congrats and Welcome to TreasureNet!! :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread