NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
This is going to be a long post. But, here goes anyways. Back in 2001, I noticed that the city decided to sell their corner lot to some developers. There is now a G.F.S. A Steak 'n' Shake, and a Walgreens on this corner. Back in about 1835, there was a Farmhouse and 3 outbuildings on this 30 acre lot. For years I knew where the 3 wells were and with another friend and an A Frame set-up, we had only been down into one of them. It was fed by an underground stream, as were the others. Found a few broken bottles, some pottery shards, rusted cans, nothing much good, were limited to time for staying down longer. But when they started grading and digging the area....WOO-HOO! The race was on.... I have pics to go with this post. The company that was doing the construction here, never put fencing up, nor did they post it, so it was fair game for anyone. When the crews were done for the day 7pm. The TH'ers. came out of the woodwork, like maggots crawling over a dead fish. :tard: Including me ;D. There were civil war cards found, one injun cent, one silver 3 center, numerous household and farm items. Through research after the fact. I found out that there used to be a tunnel running across the main road to another farm and then from that one to another. All 3 were linked with tunnels. The farm I was working has a creek behind it. Apparently this farm was the last visited by the run away slaves before they boarded canoes in the creek and headed to the Detroit River to cross into Canada and freedom! :thumbsup: Though not in this picture, I had posted a pic of the M.M.A. Button I found there ( Michigan Military Academy). I know nothing about the buckles in the pics, the watch bezel is 14kt., the shield is a badge from the Quincy Copper mine in the upper penninsula of Michigan. The bridle rosette is plain on the other side (smooth). Any questions, fire away. the smallest buckle is 1 1/2" X 1", the next (with rusty tongue) is 2" X 2", the next is, 2 1/2" X 2", and the last one (with teeth) is 2" X 2".

Attachments

• underground railroad finds 001.jpg
    underground railroad finds 001.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,439
  • underground railroad finds 002.jpg
    underground railroad finds 002.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,408
  • underground railroad finds A&NU.jpg
    underground railroad finds A&NU.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 2,446
  • underground railroad finds buckle.jpg
    underground railroad finds buckle.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 2,421
  • underground railroad finds #3..jpg
    underground railroad finds #3..jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 2,406
  • underground railroad finds #2..jpg
    underground railroad finds #2..jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,407
  • underground railroad finds 006.jpg
    underground railroad finds 006.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 2,383
Upvote 1
OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The badge that has A&N U on it, I was told it was some kind of army and navy club.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did ya ever find any slave tags?

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope, but someone found some chiseled and broken leg irons and chain parts. You see, when the construction boss found out we were hunting the area, he threatened us with death if he ever caught us there again.....heck, we were covering OUR holes back up. He came out one Sunday, ( he lives 60 miles away) just to try and catch someone on the property. I heard him running up behind me, and I got a firm grip on my shovel, just waiting for him to tackle me, and when I turned around, he came to a sudden stop and told me in no uncertain terms to get the h_ll off of his property! I reminded him it was NOT his property and that I was nowhere near his HOLES or equipment. So, I left until he went home, then I returned at midnight :thumbsup:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
call and get permission that will shut him up too... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Did that, they said it was okay, but Bossman still said no. That's okay, we watched him on tractor, drive over and into one of the wells hehehehe..... earlier on I tried to warn his workers of the locations of the wells, and da boss man said; don't listen to that old guy, he doesn't know his arse from a" hole in the ground" I stood on the public sidewalk and laughed my arse off at him ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Have some other interesting stories about this site, but I am busy right now, and will chime in later.....Not Ge

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
notgittinenny said:
Did that, they said it was okay, but Bossman still said no. That's okay, we watched him on tractor, drive over and into one of the wells hehehehe..... earlier on I tried to warn his workers of the locations of the wells, and da boss man said; don't listen to that old guy, he doesn't know his arse from a" hole in the ground" I stood on the public sidewalk and laughed my arse off at him ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Have some other interesting stories about this site, but I am busy right now, and will chime in later.....Not Ge
hmm make a sign that shows a hole in the ground and say this is not mine ;D

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
notgittinenny said:
The badge that has A&N U on it, I was told it was some kind of army and navy club.

The 3rd from the top pix. It has 3 branches of service on it, Army with the cannons, Navy with the anchor, and the Marines with the Eagle Globe and Anchor. The Castle at the top is the symbol for Engineers. I know because we still use it as a symbol today in the Marines and in the Army. I was a Combat Engineer in the Marines. Cool finds!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bringing this one back up also........NGE

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a German Pipe bowl cover in there!Nice finds!!!!

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Which one is that, I have no idea?.......NGE

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First pic,round louvered deal to the right of the spoons.

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Darn...some nice founds there, needs some help? ;D

There is an underground RR site near me, hit that so many times...nuttin. Well I did find some musket balls, a little silver, old toys...I think this site has been hunted alot. Lots of history on this property.
There is a construction site in the middle of town that has come to a grinding halt because of the economy, wishing I could get in there. Its all fenced though. Right by the river.

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
can you get in by way of the river (wade in) or canoe, then tie up. or go ask construction boss for permission.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread