antique bell

BlueDiamonds

Jul 13, 2008
Florida
I found this bell when I was a kid. I worked
on my aunt's farm and one of the first jobs they had us do was to pick up rocks in the field and toss
them into a truck. I picked up the bell thinking it was a rock and never let it out of my sight. Does
anyone have any idea what this bell could be used for? My aunt's farm is in Massachusetts and its
pretty rich in history in that area. My grandmothers house was about 1/4 mile away and it was
built in the early 1700's. (some pyro kid burned it down though) Anyway,let me know what you
think and if you have any idea the age, etc... its about 3 1/2 inches tall and the mouth of the bell is
about 2 inches across the inside isn't white, it reflected a little when the camera flashed. I'm not sure
on the type of material its made of, its not light but has some weight to it.

Attachments

• bell.jpg
    bell.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,396
  • bell1.jpg
    bell1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,235
Upvote 1

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a nice bell! I have seen many bells like that. You are lucky to have it in one piece as the tops come unscrewed easily. Since you kept it all of those years it must be special for you. When I was in school the teacher kept a similar one on her desk. Actually I remember that I have one in the basement. If I can find it I will send along a photo. Jim B

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Nice little bell. Welcome to TreasureNet! The screw holding on the handle looks machine made (at a glance anyway), which would suggest late 1800's at the very earliest. GypsyHeart is very wise about such items, I'll see if I can get her to weigh in.

OP
OP
BlueDiamonds

BlueDiamonds

Jul 13, 2008
Florida
Jim, I have lost so many important things in my life but never misplaced that bell. I'm really attached to it although I'm sure it's not worth much, the sentimental value is priceless. I'm looking forward to the photos of yours. I'm new
to the forum and not familiar with much on here at all so forgive me if I mess up anywhere. It took me a while to
figure out how to post a new topic although looking back on it, it was pretty easy. :D Its always easy after its
done.
Tim, i never thought of cast iron as a metal considered for it but it makes sense. I tried holding a magnet to it
and it doesnt stick to either the handle or the bell itself.
NHBenz, thanks for the info and sending my message along to gypsy!
Gypsy, thanks for the link to the bell website. I had no idea people collected bells or even had any type of
websites dedicated to them. I went on for a few minutes and found one very similar to mine posted by
gramsgarage. I wasn't able to post to their topic yet. I never thought to ask about it until joining treasurenet and
seeing everyone else's treasures. I really appreciate the link to it. thanks again

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
wow a great find indeed you have, to find such a treasure in a place you did makes it priceless and a value no money could buy.

simply awesome and TY for sharing it on here

hoover-jr

Jul 27, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
XLT/Explorer II
Blue,
I know what your talking about !I'm new to the listing thing also.But you know,once you get the hang of it ,it's easy.As for your lovely bell I would guess that the ornate handle is copper and the main bell is bronze or maybe brass.
I'd say you have a real special piece of history!

Hoover-jr

OP
OP
BlueDiamonds

BlueDiamonds

Jul 13, 2008
Florida
Bridge, it is a treasure for sure. My Aunt, who owned the farm, has since passed away and its really all I have that's associated with her in any way. It reminds me of the times I had working for her as a kid. I used to think of it as slave labor as we didn't get paid for a number of years (my Mom was getting free childcare), I look back at it now as a good thing. It was hard work but we did have lots of fun and good memories. Hope you are doing good and again, our prayers are with you and your friends family.

OP
OP
BlueDiamonds

BlueDiamonds

Jul 13, 2008
Florida
Larry and Hoover Jr.

Larry, thanks for the compliment. As for the bell, I've heard a few different theorys. The guy on the American Bell site said it looks like its from Mexico. He didnt actually tell me, he wrote and told another person that was inquiring about a bell really similar to mine. I've kept in contact with that person because she's trying to track down the origin of her bell too. Another person that bought a similar bell off ebay told me he thought it was a "trading" bell. His friend collects Native American pieces and he's sure it could be one that was traded to Indians at one time. Then there's the possibility that its a witch bell. I was told bells were used in witchcraft back in the day. I have no idea about that one but those are the things I've been told so far and they are all so varied in what it could be. I'm not sure I'll ever know but at least I asked!

Hoover, I thought the handle was copper too but it never really got that green tinge to it. Would it have turned green being outside in dirt for a number of years? I washed the bell in soapy water then dried it but thats all that was ever done to it. I have no idea what different metals do when they are in the ground. I'm learning slowing by reading the posts on here. I've learned never to throw out what looks like a corroded bottle cap because it could be some kind of coin. I watched a youtube video posted by someone on here how to electrolyze their finds (i didnt know it was that easy! or maybe the guy just made it look easy...) :icon_scratch: Either way I'm hoping to eventually try it out on something! I'd love to find a piece of spanish gold on the east coast of florida, i know the chances are slim to none but a chance is still a chance. Oh well, I got tired of waiting for Ed McMan to show up with my publishers clearinghouse prize so now I have to find my own treasure...

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
I'd leave it as is as far as the bell.

Keep looking and don't give up, Florida is rich in treasures

Your only one swing away from an amazing discovery :thumbsup:

S

stefen

BlueDiamonds said:
I watched a youtube video posted by someone on here how to electrolyze their finds (i didnt know it was that easy! or maybe the guy just made it look easy...) :icon_scratch:

This is a personal opinion only regarding electrolyze finds...experiment with trash until you find that it will work on something that may have personal, historic or monetary value. It would be a shame to have something like your bell only to inadvertently destroy it with a method gone wrong.

OP
OP
BlueDiamonds

BlueDiamonds

Jul 13, 2008
Florida
Hi Stefen,
Thanks for the advice on the bell, I wont try the electrolyzing on that. I need to find something with my
metal detector first. haha I have only found coins and a set of dog tags!

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
BlueDiamonds said:
Hi Stefen,
Thanks for the advice on the bell, I wont try the electrolyzing on that. I need to find something with my
metal detector first. haha I have only found coins and a set of dog tags!

dog tags? you up by pensacola?

OP
OP
BlueDiamonds

BlueDiamonds

Jul 13, 2008
Florida
Hi Bridge.. no, i'm not in pensacola, i'm about an hour north of Tampa in Hernando County.
The dog tags were real dog tags not the military kind though. I found them in a park that has
tennis courts, tot lot, etc.. Been looking for a good place to hunt for things around here
but hernando county was used as a bombing range at one point and kind of messes up where to
go. So... been doing the parks, dog parks, and places like that. I dont have a real good detector
so the beaches are out of the question. Hernando co. only has one real small one anyway. Cant
wait for the florida hunt you are doing, we'll be there for sure! :icon_sunny:

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
BlueDiamonds said:
Hi Bridge.. no, i'm not in pensacola, i'm about an hour north of Tampa in Hernando County.
The dog tags were real dog tags not the military kind though. I found them in a park that has
tennis courts, tot lot, etc.. Been looking for a good place to hunt for things around here
but hernando county was used as a bombing range at one point and kind of messes up where to
go. So... been doing the parks, dog parks, and places like that. I dont have a real good detector
so the beaches are out of the question. Hernando co. only has one real small one anyway. Cant
wait for the florida hunt you are doing, we'll be there for sure! :icon_sunny:

awesome on you all coming, I look forward to meeting you two.

What kind of detector do you have that can't handle the sand?

OP
OP
BlueDiamonds

BlueDiamonds

Jul 13, 2008
Florida
Bridge, hold onto your seat.... its a bounty hunter pioneer ex. It's all I could afford so I'm working with it. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a headset plug and beeps real loud! haha oh well, if you can't laugh at yourself
then who can you laugh at? :D If I had found this forum 3 years ago, I would never have bought the model
I did and would have held out for a good used one. I am sure I'll trade up sooner rather than later!
It will be great to meet you and others that share this interest in metal detecting at the florida hunt. Got a question for you, there is a really old house on state road 50 out past the withlacoochee state forest. There is no mailbox, etc.. just an old abandoned home. (I'm passing by there this thursday on my way somewhere else so I'm going to find cross roads or some address nearby - and also to take a picture or two) How do I find out who owns it to ask permission to hunt it? Its a really old home.

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like it is abandoned. In that case I would just give it a try. But still try to find out if someone owns it. Your detector is not that bad. You should be able to find things in the sand with it. Just do not go in the water with it. What have you found so far? Jim B

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Hi Blue,

It's a nice little bell!
My wild guess would be used for summoning household help, or in a small office...ring the bell for assistance?

Your pioneer is fine for an entry level detector, though I would have advised something else...

The old home... none of us would really want to lead you astray and suggest you do a 'hit and run' to see what you might find in a short period of time, because trespassing is a crime.
It would be wise to begin by asking the nearest neighbor.

Perhaps you could hand draw a small map of where it is, and write down the nearest mailbox address you are able to find. Take that info to the County Tax Assessor and inquire about ownership of the property.
Usually nice girls in the office that will help you.
If it IS abandoned, they will know if the taxes are unpaid.

Generally speaking, SOMEONE has interest in any land that may be available, even if they don't own it.

If you can determine it's abandoned, there might be little risk of a terse conversation over you presence, or being asked to leave. I'd advise against being in strange, out of the way places, solo...

Best,
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread