Historic B&M R.R. Police Badge

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II
Historic B&M R.R. Police Badge

This is not one of my finds, but rather my brother Paul's favorite discovery!

A few years ago, I did some research on an area nearby that had a long, dirt road which was being used for "shortcuts" by the local residents. Along this "dirt road" were old telephone poles, now bare of wires but still sporting their antique green glass insulators.

I had wondered about this road for a long time until my research finally revealed that it was actually the old roadbed for the Boston & Maine narrow-guage railroad that used to run through the area in the 20's through the 40's! After the tracks were torn up, it became, as I said, a shortcut route in an overgrown area.

Paul and I searched with our detectors along the length of the right-of-way and found some old goodies...several walking Liberty half dollars, mercury dimes, buffalo nickles, large and small cents, and this beautiful badge! It's his all-time favorite find, and we've been detecting since 1980.

It just goes to show that a little research goes a long way in filling your pockets with long-lost treasures...little moments in people's lives frozen in time from the day their coins and jewelry were lost, until the moment someone finds them!

Good luck to all of you in your quests for that next special find!

Larry G.

Attachments

• Badge2Views.gif
    Badge2Views.gif
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,347
Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Historic B&M R.R. Police Badge

That is a great find, tell your brother congrats!!!! :thumbsup:

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

Now that got my heart a pumping again!
Congrats to Paul on a nice piece of history!

HH

Desertfox

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75

Cool find and a very interesting piece of history.
Give Paul a thumbs up! :thumbsup:
Mike

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Outstanding! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A badge of identical design, with black enamel lettering, is listed in Knous's Railroadiana for $150-175.

Your post doesn't mention a maker's mark, but the one in the book is described as "Mfg. J. Robbins, Boston." For more information about Robbins, who was also a leading railroad baggage tag manufacturer, check out this link:

http://www.tagtown.net/robbins.html

Griz

Greenie
Aug 8, 2008
Watertown MA
Detector(s) used
White's IDX and White's Beachmaster

Must be nice to have such a great and all powerful brother. Hey bro its me :icon_sunny:

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005

P. Hardware Artifacts (in storage). The Society’s Hardware Committee collects New England railroad artifacts. Because of space limitations hardware items are housed at an off-site storage area. Included in the collection are such items as steam locomotive number plates (from engines 999 and 2394), a train order hoop, a trainman's cap, a steel and enamel station sign from Passumpsic, Vt., a link and pin coupler set, a caboose marker lantern, a B&M Railroad police badge, a conductor's punch, a steam locomotive builder's plate, an old water jug for serving water to railroad coach passengers, several rail cross sections, a railroad ticket dating machine, a steam locomotive bell and whistle, etc. In the past, some of this material has been loaned to several museums for temporary exhibits, and a small portion was displayed at a B&MRRHS sponsored show in Lexington, Mass., in the fall of 1983. Contact Jim Nigzus, 16 Adams Rd., Dracut, MA 01826, for more information.

http://www.trainweb.org/bmrrhs/guide.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions