d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The oldest one is an 1863 bust dime and the newest is an 1860 seated dime. The quarters go from 1854 to 1859. We also found a 3 ringer that had been "squared up", I guess with a knife handle or maybe a hammer. It was found about 10 ft from the money so I am sure that it was all together in the same "poke". Maybe it was his good luck charm. I hope it worked for him. As far as the mints go some of the dimes have an "O" on the back some of them dont have anything and I do not know where to look on the quarters or half dimes. How should I clean 'em and what does the "O" stand for?...d2

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
That hoard is absolutely incredible.....congrats....By the way , your oldest is older than you say. Caped dimes were only minted up to 1837.? Im sure that was just a type-o.....anyway, congrats again, youve potentialy got some big $ coins.....HH..

.....the mint mark on seated quarters is below the eagles tail....on half dimes it is under "half dime" either above or below the wreath bottom depending on date.......JO

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, I would be happy to just find one of those. That's wonderful!

How deep were they? Where did you dig them at? You don't have to be specific on the location.

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
Real Nice Find! I know how hard it is to resist cleaning a coin but you could really chop off some value if cleaned harshly. I have cleaned a few by soaking in olive oil for a few wks., sometimes a little corrosion will fall off and it did'nt leave them with that cleaned look. This method works better on silver than copper, but copper in my area corrodes fast, even newer ones. If I were you I would find a coin discussion forum and get some info from people who are well versed in what to do. You might have some goodies there.

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was a typo on the the "bust dime" it was 1836 the year Arkansas became a state. They were not very deep the deepest being about 3 inches. Most of the quarters were just laying under the leaves and dirt. I found them under a big red oak tree. I guess that is why some of 'em are discolored. Also I did find these on PRIVATE ground with the land owners permission. Thought I needed to put the disclaimer on here. I didnt sleep for 2 days I was so excited. Thanks for all the info...d2

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice coins,

hh

lonewolfe

P

Parangjim

d2,
Congrats! These are real nice finds.
Good luck on the next trip. HH
jim

navychief1968

Jan 7, 2005
Water Valley, MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
D2,

Congratulations.... What an excellent find! Considering the depth at which the coins were located, it was probably a purse that was dropped by a soldier. We can hope it was due carelessness and not due to being injured or killed. It would be great if you could find out the story behind the coins loss. That would be the real treasure.

Chris Reynolds
Senior Chief Petty Officer, USN

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Wow!!!
I don't think I've ever seen so many seated coins in one place, what a find, WTG!!!
Good luck & Happy hunting~

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible!!!
These were all found around the oak tree?
I would like to hear the whole story. Maybe W&E Treasures can do an article on this.

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o :o what a great find.......... it days like this that wish I wasn't a yank........ I'm misssing out on all those wonderful finds from those battlefields............ Yes we do have War of 1812 encampments & battlefields but because this area is so rural the government has been able to preserve many of these locations. Md'ing around those historical marker will loss you your detector...................... :'(. WTG I'm Jealous

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
Man, that is some haul you got. I can only dream of such a find. I would be hooting and hollering so loud my wife would think I had gone crazy, oh wait she already thinks I'm crazy! Great finds best of luck in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread