Not a baner, but I beat my best

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
For the last two days, I've been going to my local University and detecting in the area around the buildings out there. Mostly up till now I've just been finding post 60's clad coins and one or two silver rosies. Today, after things cooled down a bit, I went back over there and proceeded to hunt the area some more. Came up with a few more clads (seen one, ya seen em all).

For about fiteen feet or so, I didn't get so much as a broken blip. Suddenly, I got a weak signal that proudly announced quarter at about 7 inches down. Up till now, every time I've dug down deeper than 3 inches, any signal I've recieved would vanish or shift, or even suddenly turn into iron. I didn't get my hopes up, but as it was the first signal I'd gotten for a bit, I proceeded to dig.

While I was on my knees, another campus security officer came up and asked what I was doing.
I explained what I was doing, but more importantly, why I had a digging knife about 8 inches sitting next to me. Since he didn't seem about to tell me to stop, I told him about my finds the other day, and that I was just checking out a new signal. He asked if I ever got anything valuable out of this and I told him bout a 24 k gold ring I had found last year.

When he asked what about recently, I said yeah, I found enough change to buy a happy meal.
As I did so, I waved the detector over the hole and the signal was gone. RATS! As I was putting the detector down, it beeped over an area of the dirt pile I had apparantly missed. I really need to get one of them handheld pinpointers. Sifting through the dirt, I pulle dup a very corroded disc about the size of a nickel, but I couldn't make out many details.

The gaurd asked me what I found and I held it out as I brushed some of the dirt off and flipped it over. That's when I saw the stars and the big number 5 in the middle! Up till now, the oldest coin I had found was a 1935 Indian Head nickel. I broke that number by a few years. It took me some time to find the date as the front of it was extremely worn. I almost couldn't even make out the shield. He asked again what it was, and I looked him straight in the eye and said "It's a nickel."

"All that dirt and digging for a nickel?"
"Yeah, but this one is from 1874!"

He seemed pretty impressed till I told him I doubt it's worth more than face value because of the condition, but to me, it's more priceless than that ring I mentioned earlier
-----------------------------------------------------
Update:

For those who wanted to see the worsc...worch...wersh...
something shire sauce cleaning method...I present you
with the results...

Personally, I think it looked better with the red on, but considering it's only worth a nickel, it was well worth the experiment.

Attachments

• 1874.jpg
    1874.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 2,079
  • 1874.jpg
    1874.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,512
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
I just texted a friend of mine about the find. She never really has understood my fascination with the hobby. When I told her bout the nickel, I guess she got a bit confused. I told her it was a 1874 Nickel worth about that. She thought I meant it was worth $1874. I wish! ;D

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
CowboyKolo said:
I just texted a friend of mine about the find. She never really has understood my fascination with the hobby. When I told her bout the nickel, I guess she got a bit confused. I told her it was a 1874 Nickel worth about that. She thought I meant it was worth $1874. I wish! ;D

well one day it could be worth that :thumbsup: time will tell

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done :thumbsup: If I found ANY coin anywhere near that old, I would make up MY OWN BANNER ;D
Cheers, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread