Rolex upstages a diamond cluster

Northern Lights

Sep 15, 2008
Georgian Bay Lake Huron, 2 hrs N. of Toronto
Detector(s) used
whites surfmaster pulse, tesoro silver sabre, fisher 1280x
changed my mind and went out anyway at the end of a long holiday weekend. Had been busy all weekend but saw 5 other water hunters out giving the beach a good going over all 3 days. I was finally free on Mon evening and decided to see if they missed anything. Ordinarily, I would have been out there among them all weekend getting my share. They didn't leave much, as I only got about $3 and change in coins. I have on a rare occasions after a busy weekend, had $25 days at this beach ( our $1 & $2 coins add up ). Anyway, I was extremely lucky that Mon evening as besides the coins, I also hit a small 10kt cluster diamond ring, and then not more than 10 ft away I found a watch, but being almost dark, it looked kind of fancy but I figured a $10 or $20 Walmart special. It wasn't till I got home and was getting changed that I took a fast peek at it and declared it was still working and set it down to dry off. It was my wife that discovered with a yelp of joy that it was a Rolex. I have found many watches over 25 years of water hunting but this is my first and very likely my only Rolex. Probably came off 1 of the yachts that anchor off the swimming area. I have had it authenticated by a reputable watch shop as the genuine article and it seems to list around 9 to 10 grand.
It's a nice way to close out the season, still about 6 weeks left yet though, before we head south for the winter in AZ. The watch comes in as my 2nd best all time find in value, it was superceded by a diamond & ruby ring about 15 years ago and it appraised at $13,500. So I guess the moral of the story is, no matter how heavy an area gets hunted, they never get everything ? But what's the chances of missing those 2 items. I use a pulse and dig most everything except bobby pins & nails, the watch gave a funny loud but kind of junky signal, it was on the surface, ( the band is gold and stainless steel ), and a couple of those other hunters were using 1280's, so the possibility exists that they discriminated right over the watch, lucky me.

Upvote 0
T

The.Boomer

Very nice finds, don't wanna show my ignorance too much, but are these from a salt water beach or fresh water ? I only ask because I didn't think Canada has many salt water beaches that are that populated. I would think the water is too cold, but I'm totally Canada ignorant. :tard: :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread