My estate sale find.

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
About 2 years ago my father in law and I went to an estate sale.We found some stuff when we were in the basement he reached under a work bench and pulled out a small percussion pistol.We put it in the box and paid $5 for the box of stuff.When we got home we split the stuff up and he told me to hold onto it because I collect military items,It sat in a trunk I had for a year or so....the other day I went to a gun show in my area so I decided to take it.I went to a table where a guy had similar age guns replicas knives long guns etc...He said "What you have there?" I unzipped the case and watched his face To see if he gives a sign...( I don't like to be swindled) He licked his lips.I didn't even have to hand it to him and he asked if I wanted to trade.That was a tell right there.The guns in the case were price over $400.I told him no thanks I want to do more research.10 min later he taps me on the shoulder"Come back to my table I found it in the book" He showed it to me.It is an NP AMES model 1842 percussion pistol.It is in good conditon,I can give you $400 right now or some more if you trade.He then showed me the gun in good cond. is valued at $700!! I said no thanks I think I'll hang on to it!
I showed it to another guy he called 2 friends over the huddled up and were shaking their heads and buzzing.He came back and said yep Its authentic I wish i could buy it from you for $400...He said put some oil on it to stop the rust and hang onto it this retails for over $800!! Do not sell this!!
I know this story is so long but boy am I happy!! I did some research It says only 2000 were made and also it is a war relic and should be treated with respect.Can any one out there in treasure net land lend me some advice or have some more info for me...The internet didnt turn up as much as I expected.I'm sure theres many knowledgable people here. Please post or PM me I will also try to put up some pics soon.Any one with some knowledge on preserving it would be great.I dont want to be the guy who ruins a relic by cleaning it!!!!! Ther is some surface rust not pitting though and the wood is well worn.The guys at the show said use some oil or kroil and some fine brass wool to get rust off. Any help will be awesome.This is truly a find of a lifetime!!!!!!!!!!!
Gerald

Upvote 0

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Great purchase for $5. Old guns are interesting to collect, I have an old flinlock pistol that was part of my hrandfather's collcetion from about that era in perfect condition.

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
gtlfindings said:
About 2 years ago my father in law and I went to an estate sale.We found some stuff when we were in the basement he reached under a work bench and pulled out a small percussion pistol.We put it in the box and paid $5 for the box of stuff.

cool find, but not impressed with how you aquired it, did the estate owners, the auctioneer, the other bidders, or anyone else know you put it in a box of other stuff?

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
pronghorn said:
gtlfindings said:
About 2 years ago my father in law and I went to an estate sale.We found some stuff when we were in the basement he reached under a work bench and pulled out a small percussion pistol.We put it in the box and paid $5 for the box of stuff.

cool find, but not impressed with how you aquired it, did the estate owners, the auctioneer, the other bidders, or anyone else know you put it in a box of other stuff?

Ive been to several "family run" estate sales with cardboard signs stating "whatever you can fit in the box/bag" for x amount. I have also had garage sales myself and found people attempting exactly what you stated or switching tags etc. :o

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Great find! Congrats :thumbsup:. I don't see that you did anything shady in buying it. I have been to sales like that and you go through the house and fill your box or bag or whatever and when you pay for it the person running the sale prices what you bring them. If they under price something there is nothing wrong with that. I sure wouldn't ask them if they wanted more for it.

HH Charlie

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
Blacksheep said:
Okay, when I read first post I read estate auction when it in fact says estate sale.
I guess I need to apologize, I am sorry.
If in fact it is a sale and you can put in a box whatever you want and they charge by the box there is nothing wrong with that.
I have seen so much shinanigans go on at "auctions" that they make me sick. I have never been to an estate sale that allows you to go through the house and pick whatever you want to buy. Sorry again.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
pronghorn said:
Blacksheep said:
Okay, when I read first post I read estate auction when it in fact says estate sale.
I guess I need to apologize, I am sorry.
If in fact it is a sale and you can put in a box whatever you want and they charge by the box there is nothing wrong with that.
I have seen so much shinanigans go on at "auctions" that they make me sick. I have never been to an estate sale that allows you to go through the house and pick whatever you want to buy. Sorry again.

Seen auction services screw people blind with unsavory tactics, the best defense is knowledge, never assume the auctioneer is looking out for your best interest. Most are reputable, many are not. Do your homework folks. :wink:

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Go to a sporting goods store and buy some liquid called Break Free.
It comes in a black bottle, kinda pricey........$8.00 bucks for a small bottle.
We use it on all our firearms at our Sportsmans Club.
I use it to wipe down all my guns at home as well.
Many law enforcement officers use it to lube their duty weapons.
Dont forget to shake the bottle well and this will stop rust cold in its tracks.

Mike

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bbqbull said:
Go to a sporting goods store and buy some liquid called Break Free.
It comes in a black bottle, kinda pricey........$8.00 bucks for a small bottle.
We use it on all our firearms at our Sportsmans Club.
I use it to wipe down all my guns at home as well.
Many law enforcement officers use it to lube their duty weapons.
Dont forget to shake the bottle well and this will stop rust cold in its tracks.

Mike

Mike, I though hmmm, maybe I could try that on other iron objects that I have, to keep them shiny and clean.
But when I search for Break Free here http://www.botachtactical.com/breakfree.html I find about 20 different
Break Free's, some with CLP codes. Can you say which one you mean? Thanks

OP
OP
gtlfindings

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
I have some pics finally....There was no shenanagens involved we bought it by the box and we thought it was a replica or toy.The rust looks worse in the pics....

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,598
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,585

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread