Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't make me push the ignore button for being jealous :icon_jokercolor:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 1847 looks great. Looks like you found part of the infamous Civil War bedroll buckle/ Not Civil War bedroll buckle buckles. For a period of time those heart buckles were attributed to the Civil War but as it turns out they were not Civil War related. You must have had fun pulling all of that copper out of the ground.

OP
OP
D

diggindeep

Oct 4, 2006
that is actually a silver plated button sorry i didnt describe the stuff. the coin next to the flying eagle is a half cent also. oh and does anybody have a reason as to why that largie has an x across it...its on the back also. and also the largie in the top pic left seems to have a ridge along the left side of it maybe a die crack?

allen1

Oct 2, 2008
congrats on the great hunt.I think hunting like these coins are interested.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
allen

freeastro

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
diggindeep said:
oh and does anybody have a reason as to why that largie has an x across it...its on the back also. and also the largie in the top pic left seems to have a ridge along the left side of it maybe a die crack?

People used to mark their coins. Don't know of any reason other than if they were caching coins they would know someone got to their cache if coins starting appearing in circulation with their mark. I'm sure there are other reasons people marked them.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and good research, that is what pays off sometimes. Great coins!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread