Inherited Stamps

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
I got this big stamp collection(50 lbs.or more) from a great grandfather. I know very little about stamps and cant seem to make the time to start another hobby. This collection will be for sale soon. Does anyone have any ideas (other than Ebay) of how to get the most bang for the buck?

There are a lot of envelopes marked first day or first flight. you'll see some of the stamps were bundled into little blocks.
The large envelops have large amounts of the same stamps in them. maybe I should paper a wall with all of them.....but then again, my tongue would get sore, swell up and get DE-hydrated!

Attachments

• 014_14.JPG
    014_14.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 666
  • 015_15.JPG
    015_15.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 674
  • 016_16.JPG
    016_16.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 667
  • 017_17.JPG
    017_17.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 667
  • 018_18.JPG
    018_18.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 674
  • 019_19.JPG
    019_19.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 666

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Nice collection! If you are selling it the best way to make money is to sell them individually, but thats not the most practical LOL. So i would buy the postal services guide to stamp values. I can do a few look-ups for you if u think some might be rare :) Alot of air mail stamps are worth more alot. Also the higher denomination ones over a cent are worth more. Then there are erros, first days, first flights, blocks, watermarks, cancelations, old ones, varieties, etc....Your best bet is to take all the common ones and sell them fairly cheap in a lot. They are all worth at least 2 to 3 cents each if they are older ones(like at least 1950's) But if they have not been used they can be worth alot even only a few years old. PM with anything you need looked up or if u need anything, i have a book that has all US stamps. If you sell the common ones in a large lot i may be interested ;)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much are you looking to sell them all for? Maybe I will buy them, haha. I need something to do this winter and since I sell on eBay anyways it wouldn't hurt for me to learn about stamps I guess, haha.

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
That sure is a lot of stamps...
My dad has a moderate stamp collection. If there's one thing I've learned from looking in it and researching certain ones...is that it's so much more of an exact preservation hobby. What I mean by that is, every tiniest thing will change the value of a stamp. That includes obvious things, like if it has been circulated. It also includes the condition of the perforated edges are, if the tiny fibers are still sticking out...I mean the TINIEST thing. I'm telling you, it's nuts! :)

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Also if you want to remove a circulated stamp from a piece of paper like that was ripped off of an envelope then just soak it in water for a minute then it will peel right off and you can dry it out.

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Snee said:
That sure is a lot of stamps...
My dad has a moderate stamp collection. If there's one thing I've learned from looking in it and researching certain ones...is that it's so much more of an exact preservation hobby. What I mean by that is, every tiniest thing will change the value of a stamp. That includes obvious things, like if it has been circulated. It also includes the condition of the perforated edges are, if the tiny fibers are still sticking out...I mean the TINIEST thing. I'm telling you, it's nuts! :)

This is why I'm thinking of selling of donating the collection to someone that will love them the way they should be.
I have enough #$%& hobbies as is.....

It will be tough to part with them being there was a family memory. but i may be able to just keep the few things I like best before it goes.

S

southbound

I have a rather large stamp collection myself. Will pass them on to my boys one day.

bwilly36

Apr 1, 2005
Marion, IA
I also have quite a large US stamp collection...been keeping them since I was a kid...spent many a month's allowance buying them. Stamps are alot like coins/baseball cards....you will probably not get what the price guide says their worth. Condition is the key on them...used vs mint...hinged vs never hinged...and so forth. Looking through old collections is always alot of fun. If you look on ebay, collections that are for sale always seem to be pretty picked over before they are sold. I would be glad to help if you decide to go that way or if you look to sell it in its entirety.

bwilly36

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like my collection too, all in boxes! :D Too many to keep organized.

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Update:

2/07 this collection has finally been passed along
hopefully someone will appreciate them more than I could.
thanks for looking........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions