The Axe Head Showroom - Page 7
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 138
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: The Axe Head Showroom

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #91
    us
    Oct 2015
    Royal Palm Beach, FL
    MineLab CTX3030 Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT Pro, Gray Ghost Amphibian Headphones, Garrett Pin-Pointer AT, RTGBB6tip Scoop
    55
    51 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

    I need help to Identify this Hatchet Head.

    Hello,

    I was searching for a similar hatchet head to one I recently found and located your thread here. Hoping one of you might be able to give me additional details about it

    I found this Hatchet Head in the shallow water of the Flint River in Huntsville, AL. We were visiting family there last week and this was my first try at river detecting.

    I was using my Garrett Pro AT in about 18" of water along the river bank. It was in about 5" of rocky river bottom mud. Back home I usually am searching the beaches of SE Florida.

    When I got it home I cleaned it with 12-hours of electrolysis. I know it is a Hewing Hatchet but can't find a similar one on the web to identify it's approximate age. Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Jerry

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA170003.JPG 
Views:	210 
Size:	610.5 KB 
ID:	1223948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA170002.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	275.0 KB 
ID:	1223949
    BuckleBoy likes this.

  2. #92

    Jun 2014
    Eurotek pro
    1,060
    1492 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    The Axe Head Showroom

    I found this guy today at a mid 1800's house. Not sure what it is it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Sitting in the electrolysis tank nowClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445470868.825430.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	824.9 KB 
ID:	1225731
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445470892.413618.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	819.7 KB 
ID:	1225733
    Last edited by Turbo21; Oct 21, 2015 at 06:43 PM.

  3. #93
    us
    Oct 2009
    245
    44 times
    Eyeballed this while exploring around a homesite from 1840's until right before WW1. It was sticking out if the dirt a little, but I recognize metal easily now. So I pulled it out. This sucker is heavy as can be too. Any ideas on age or style? I know it's pretty beat up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449284250.894859.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	898.5 KB 
ID:	1243030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449284264.645981.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	892.0 KB 
ID:	1243031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449284294.684246.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	851.4 KB 
ID:	1243032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449284312.766487.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	635.2 KB 
ID:	1243033

  4. #94
    us
    Oct 2015
    Royal Palm Beach, FL
    MineLab CTX3030 Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT Pro, Gray Ghost Amphibian Headphones, Garrett Pin-Pointer AT, RTGBB6tip Scoop
    55
    51 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Bump for age ID

  5. #95
    us
    Mar 2013
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
    2,192
    3521 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckleBoy View Post
    Hello All,

    I am starting this post as a showroom for axe heads, whether electrolysis cleaned, or still rusty crusty. Post 'em here.

    There is a large variety in these tools over geography and time, and it will be cool to see everything from trade axes and weapons all the way through more modern tools.


    Cheers,


    Buckles
    Glad to see you start this thread! It has been needed.
    Axe heads are a common relic recovered, and yet we can learn from them too.
    I have a book titled:
    "Axe Makers of North America" by Allan Klenman
    and it has most manufacturers of axes, including some from Canada

    Another title I have is:
    "A Museum of Early American Tools" by Eric Sloane
    it has several pages on the types of axes and hatchets of colonial America.
    BuckleBoy and Davers like this.

  6. #96
    us
    Oct 2015
    Royal Palm Beach, FL
    MineLab CTX3030 Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT Pro, Gray Ghost Amphibian Headphones, Garrett Pin-Pointer AT, RTGBB6tip Scoop
    55
    51 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemustdigtreasure View Post
    Glad to see you start this thread! It has been needed.
    Axe heads are a common relic recovered, and yet we can learn from them too.
    I have a book titled:
    "Axe Makers of North America" by Allan Klenman
    and it has most manufacturers of axes, including some from Canada

    Another title I have is:
    "A Museum of Early American Tools" by Eric Sloane
    it has several pages on the types of axes and hatchets of colonial America.
    Hello eyemustdigtreasure,
    Could you take a look at my post (#91) above. I'm wondering if your books may give a hint to that hatchet head's age.

    Regards,
    Jerry

  7. #97
    us
    Mar 2013
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
    2,192
    3521 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryp49 View Post
    Hello eyemustdigtreasure,
    Could you take a look at my post (#91) above. I'm wondering if your books may give a hint to that hatchet head's age.

    Regards,
    Jerry
    Jerry,
    You are right about the style of head,
    its a "Hewing Hatchet", with about a 12' handle, so your photo showing yours
    about 7" long, is right on.
    Sloane's book's illustration on page 19 gives it an age of "(before 1820)"

  8. #98
    ca
    Mar 2014
    Alberta
    Garrett at gold, Garrett propointer, teknetics t2 se, tessoro sand shark,
    111
    98 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Great thread, finding axe heads and researching them after is a wonderfull part of this hobby. In my picture here I have what I think are 2 trade axes, the third is a hatchet that I cannot seem to find any info on, so any info from tneters would be much appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160101_201108.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	895.2 KB 
ID:	1254605  
    BuckleBoy likes this.

  9. #99
    us
    acm3

    Jan 2016
    Warrenton, VA
    Garrett AT Pro and Garrett pinpointer Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
    119
    181 times
    Relic Hunting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PART_1451770473150_20160102_135851.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	940.8 KB 
ID:	1255490

    I think this is an axe head. Found today in Warrenton VA

  10. #100
    us
    Jan 2012
    Western Washington
    1,587
    1611 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Here is the only double bit from a 1912 logging camp that has a mark...mark is "7"Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	340.0 KB 
ID:	1263442

  11. #101
    ca
    Feb 2016
    North Bay Ontario
    7
    23 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Need some help identifing the age of a hatchet head my dad found with me while moose hunting back in the early 90's it is hand forged by the looks of it. It was found on a large rock on the shore of a small shallow lake, where there was a old water course entering the lake (the water course is now mostly swamp), near Elk Lake Ontario. Nearby I found the piece of iron rod. it looks like a hand forged spike. one edge of the spike is flattened from hammering and the other has a slight flattening on 2 sides to give it a bit of a point. It was sitting in the moss with just the end sticking up in the air. the moss was at least 12" thick. There was a totally rotted piece of tree attached. Where the spike was found there appeared to be the possible outline of a cabin in the moss. there was a difference in growth height of the moss. The nearby area was logged about 10 years before we were there, but they left a green strip around bodies of water. the pine trees appeared quite old but were small diameter.

    There is a makers mark on it on the hatchet head. I cannot make the mark out but it could be HB or something similar.

    Looking at where the hatchet hole was created by folding the iron around something it appears that the forging is starting to delaminate somewhat due to rust. You can actually see a line on the otherside where it looks like the join was good but slightly misalligned. on the cutting blade of the hatchet there appears to have been a couple of chips in the bottom end of the cutting edge (maybe why it was abandoned) there was no wood in the hole of the hatchet. The level of rust appears to be consistant all over the hatchet except for a small strip on the side near the rear of the head which appears to be a lighter color. The rear of the head appears to have been used as a hammer (slightly deformed edge) and appears to have been made with a flat spot that is somewhat thicker than the rest of the surrounding iron.

    Any help would be appreciated!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0332.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	1301195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0333.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	1301196Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0334.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	1301197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0335.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	1301198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0336.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	1301199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0337.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	1301200
    Last edited by cadmaster; Apr 18, 2016 at 12:20 PM.
    BuckleBoy likes this.

  12. #102

    Oct 2006
    Bloomsburg, Pa
    114
    25 times
    I recently founder this axe along with some hatchets in an Old Barn on the property we acquired. The handle feels perfect, but I don't know a thing about axes, any information anyone could give I'd be grateful Pennsylvania Amish Country
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161104_214033.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	4.82 MB 
ID:	1378108
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161104_214045.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	3.74 MB 
ID:	1378110
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161104_214052.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	4.87 MB 
ID:	1379063
    Last edited by CoolFrayers; Nov 06, 2016 at 10:28 PM.
    BuckleBoy likes this.
    BLAH!

  13. #103
    Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

    Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver ÁMax
    17,045
    6378 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by cadmaster View Post
    Need some help identifing the age of a hatchet head my dad found with me while moose hunting back in the early 90's it is hand forged by the looks of it. It was found on a large rock on the shore of a small shallow lake, where there was a old water course entering the lake (the water course is now mostly swamp), near Elk Lake Ontario. Nearby I found the piece of iron rod. it looks like a hand forged spike. one edge of the spike is flattened from hammering and the other has a slight flattening on 2 sides to give it a bit of a point. It was sitting in the moss with just the end sticking up in the air. the moss was at least 12" thick. There was a totally rotted piece of tree attached. Where the spike was found there appeared to be the possible outline of a cabin in the moss. there was a difference in growth height of the moss. The nearby area was logged about 10 years before we were there, but they left a green strip around bodies of water. the pine trees appeared quite old but were small diameter.

    There is a makers mark on it on the hatchet head. I cannot make the mark out but it could be HB or something similar.

    Looking at where the hatchet hole was created by folding the iron around something it appears that the forging is starting to delaminate somewhat due to rust. You can actually see a line on the otherside where it looks like the join was good but slightly misalligned. on the cutting blade of the hatchet there appears to have been a couple of chips in the bottom end of the cutting edge (maybe why it was abandoned) there was no wood in the hole of the hatchet. The level of rust appears to be consistant all over the hatchet except for a small strip on the side near the rear of the head which appears to be a lighter color. The rear of the head appears to have been used as a hammer (slightly deformed edge) and appears to have been made with a flat spot that is somewhat thicker than the rest of the surrounding iron.

    Any help would be appreciated!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0332.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	1301195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0333.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	1301196Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0334.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	1301197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0335.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	1301198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0336.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	1301199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0337.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	1301200
    Looks like a 1700s Trade Axe to me!
    2020 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    Monogrammed Silver Love Token
    dateless Seated Liberty Dime
    1899 Barber Quarter
    minieballs, beefaloes, V and Shield Nickels, and GawGag


    OUR 2019 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...9-wrap-up.html
    OUR 2018 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...nths-late.html
    OUR 2017 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ts-photos.html
    OUR 2016 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post5286759
    OUR 2015 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...what-year.html
    OUR 2014 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...lots-pics.html
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940


    Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

  14. #104
    Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

    Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779.. now in Catlin N.Y.
    Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer Tesoro Tejon, Land or Sea Pointer, Garrett Pointer, King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA Lesche 28" Ground Shark Treasure Wise Diggers
    6,103
    6079 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Name:  axes.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  26.7 KB
    I`v been detecting for 51 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    [video=youtube;yqdSl2jFjlE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE[/video
    WE THE PEOPLE

  15. #105
    us
    Jun 2007
    Southwest Michigan
    Made in U.S.A.
    2,873
    467 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Here's an old hachet head I found in the woods today, I'm doing electrolysis on it now
    Name:  axe.JPG
Views: 592
Size:  594.7 KB

 

 
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

antique axe head identification

,
antique axe heads
,

antique axe identification

,
axe head identification
,
axe head patterns
,
axe head styles
,

axe head types

,
axe identification
,
identifying old axe heads
,

old axe head types

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0