Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
image-147001167.jpg

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Is this your collection? What is the function of the small nib at the base of the stem? Does it have something to do with the pouring of the wet clay into a cast?

M

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always knew you were smoking something...

OP
OP
ticm

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Moonrover said:
Is this your collection? What is the function of the small nib at the base of the stem? Does it have something to do with the pouring of the wet clay into a cast?

M

Yes I dug them up in a bottle dump. I don't know what they are. You most likely have it correct. Probably has to do with the mold.

OP
OP
ticm

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
dustytrails123 said:
I always knew you were smoking something...

Hey, I know one thing they aren't as nice as your collection of your post 1998 Lincoln cent collection that you dug up with that Ace detector.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The green hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about, Gustafson.
[video]http://www.hark.com/clips/zpwkxxzdgc-the-green-hornets-caught-more-fish[/video]

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe calling someone a liar is not within the bounds of forum rules. My oh my dusty.

Think it's just as much about wanting to post that comment and trying to be clever, but it works the opposite way when it's inserted in the first place found, and there's no context to support using it. I'm guessing he's be doing this since about 6th grade trying to get attention. (so doing it for about 2 years)

OP
OP
ticm

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Iron Patch said:
Think it's just as much about wanting to post that comment and trying to be clever, but it works the opposite way when it's inserted in the first place found, and there's no context to support using it. I'm guessing he's be doing this since about 6th grade trying to get attention. (so doing it for about 2 years)

LMAO.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dusty, I'm trying to decode your post.

if your calling a Member a Liar, Please remove your post
before We need to.
No response is an admission of Guilt[/URL]
this is a movie quote ....theres no accusation theres nothing but a punt at humor...something both of you need to work on ...

OP
OP
ticm

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
dustytrails123 said:
this is a movie quote ....theres no accusation theres nothing but a punt at humor...something both of you need to work on ...

What do you mean by punt?

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
ticm said:
Yes I dug them up in a bottle dump. I don't know what they are. You most likely have it correct. Probably has to do with the mold.

Picked up a bit of education on clay pipes with a Google search:

---------------

Clay in this case is almost always a very fine white clay. Low-quality "clay" pipes are actually made from porcelain forming techniques known as slip, and poured into a mold. These are porous, of very low quality, and impart unwanted flavors to a smoke. Top-notch clays, on the other hand are made in a labor-intensive process that requires beating all air out of the clay, hand-rolling each pipe before molding it, piercing with a fine wire, and careful firing. Traditionally, clay pipes are unglazed. Clays burn "hot" in comparison to other types of pipes, so they are often difficult for most pipe-smokers to use. Their proponents claim that, unlike other materials, a well-made clay pipe gives a "pure" smoke, with no flavor addition from the pipe bowl. In addition to aficionados, reproductions of historical clay styles are used by some Historical re-enactors. Clay pipes were once considered disposable items and the large quantities discarded in the past are often used as an aid in dating by industrial archaeologists.

---------------

That little knob on the bottom is not required if the clay is hand rolled then formed. However the poured ones all had them thus clay pipe smokers became accustomed to the convenient grip, so any clay pipe made no matter by what process was made with the little nib grip. This is my summation of a very long article that I just read.

Whew, now I feel so much schmartter. Reason I'm sort of interested in clay pipes is that while doing family research, I learned that my great grandmother carried one all the time in an apron pocket. Yup, hillbilly, jus like me.

M

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are called PEACE PIPES for a reason. Smoke a native herbal blend, and chill out.

I adore the OPs pipe collection. If I found a couple, I would probibly use on special occasions.

Dusty was making a weed joke. Can their ever be a good weed joke? Yes. Was this one? not really. A played out theme, that really should have just been ignored. It's about a 0/10 on the offense scale.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are called PEACE PIPES for a reason. Smoke a native herbal blend, and chill out.

I adore the OPs pipe collection. If I found a couple, I would probibly use on special occasions.

Dusty was making a weed joke. Can their ever be a good weed joke? Yes. Was this one? not really. A played out theme, that really should have just been ignored. It's about a 0/10 on the offense scale.
Actually they arent called "Peace Pipes",but "Penny Pipes"....for reason.....they could be smoked for a penny,and a small piece broke from the stem at taverns

OP
OP
ticm

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Moonrover said:
Picked up a bit of education on clay pipes with a Google search:

---------------

Clay in this case is almost always a very fine white clay. Low-quality "clay" pipes are actually made from porcelain forming techniques known as slip, and poured into a mold. These are porous, of very low quality, and impart unwanted flavors to a smoke. Top-notch clays, on the other hand are made in a labor-intensive process that requires beating all air out of the clay, hand-rolling each pipe before molding it, piercing with a fine wire, and careful firing. Traditionally, clay pipes are unglazed. Clays burn "hot" in comparison to other types of pipes, so they are often difficult for most pipe-smokers to use. Their proponents claim that, unlike other materials, a well-made clay pipe gives a "pure" smoke, with no flavor addition from the pipe bowl. In addition to aficionados, reproductions of historical clay styles are used by some Historical re-enactors. Clay pipes were once considered disposable items and the large quantities discarded in the past are often used as an aid in dating by industrial archaeologists.

---------------

That little knob on the bottom is not required if the clay is hand rolled then formed. However the poured ones all had them thus clay pipe smokers became accustomed to the convenient grip, so any clay pipe made no matter by what process was made with the little nib grip. This is my summation of a very long article that I just read.

Whew, now I feel so much schmartter. Reason I'm sort of interested in clay pipes is that while doing family research, I learned that my great grandmother carried one all the time in an apron pocket. Yup, hillbilly, jus like me.

M

The pit I dug them from had 1880's and 90's bottles. Some of them are marked clascow Scotland.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help keep the atmosphere at TreasureNet fun! Sniping, name calling, denegration and other generally negative or abusive actions are grounds for moderation. In extreme cases grounds for banning!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ticm

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I am pretty sure Dusty has a man crush on me. He follows all my threads and a lot of my posts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread