G

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Just found the Latvian coin, its slightly smaller in diameter than my morgan/peace dollar but slightly thicker.

the wording on the side says DIEVS * * * SVETI * * * LATVIJU * * * which translates to English as "God bless Latvia"

DSC02825.JPG DSC02826.JPG DSC02827.JPG

Comparison of size with a quarter.

DSC02828.JPG

Thanks for sharing. The Morgan dollar that you grandmother gave you is a 1921-D.

Lol, i just happened to notice after i had posted the picture.. i never realized there was a mint mark on it until i zoomed in with macro
i knew my hearing was bad..... but i didn't realize my vision was going too :icon_scratch:

ihatedirtbikes

Feb 22, 2012
virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus DMCII-Ba
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those 1921 morgans have really small mint marks. anyone will have trouble seeing them.

OP
OP
G

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Donovan.flannery said:
yessir, my bad.. just getting to know coins, im a newb. i didnt pay much attention in history class or english either :laughing7:

It's all good. Eisenhower is the one on the big dollar coins. How long have you collected?

And you don't have to call me sir, I'm 21. :)

OP
OP
G

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It's all good. Eisenhower is the one on the big dollar coins. How long have you collected?

And you don't have to call me sir, I'm 21. :)

yea, i had a 1972 type 2 yesterday i had spent. been unofficially "collecting" for nearly 23 years now, mostly just acquiring them by luck really. i dont go out of my way to do it... its just a nice sight to see when you have a handful of old coins to pick through.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Donovan.flannery said:
yea, i had a 1972 type 2 yesterday i had spent. been unofficially "collecting" for nearly 23 years now, mostly just acquiring them by luck really. i dont go out of my way to do it... its just a nice sight to see when you have a handful of old coins to pick through.

You just spent a 1972 type 2 as a dollar?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Donovan.flannery said:
not worth nothing to me :dontknow: im primarily after silver coins or old coins

Wish I had one, you can sell them in poor grades for even a profit. I don't collect errors or varieties, but if I found one, I'd sell it and buy some silver.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The Latvian coin is a 5 lati, .835 silver, .6711 troy oz. of silver.

OP
OP
G

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wish I had one, you can sell them in poor grades for even a profit. I don't collect errors or varieties, but if I found one, I'd sell it and buy some silver.

Pretty cool everyone is after different things and finds value in a vast amount of items. i see some post of people digging up war bullets and such and being excited, but i see them as trash :dontknow: to each their own ya know. im not hating either... just saying, everyone is different lol.

i actually had a friend who works at the bank bring it home with a handful of kennedys that came in the bank that day.

The Latvian coin is a 5 lati, .835 silver, .6711 troy oz. of silver.

so a %90 us coin is slightly more pure than the Lati? .835 is kinda unusual

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
P
so a %90 us coin is slightly more pure than the Lati? .835 is kinda unusual

.835 is common fineness for Europe, along with .925 and .625. Mexico and Turkey made .100 coins, those are unusual (the Turkish coins were sometimes .900 copper, and they looked like copper cents).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions