Dec 30, 2012
I have a huge collection of the following:
1. Petrified wood.
2. Leaf fossils.
3. Very old sea shells n black shale.
4. Ammonites.
5. Agate.
6. Gypsum Crystals.
7. Citrine yellow crystals, shell fossils, n shale.
8. Pure obsidian chunks.
9. Micah.
10. Fossilized coral.
Just wondering.
Not sure if all i have is worth anything. Probably to a hard core collector.
Let me know. Would be nice. Thx.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try Ebay and Craigslist.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Have no idea where you are. Here, we have a pretty big gem and mineral show every year. Get a space and sell away. That and decent flea markets. I sold geodes, agates, fossils and made some good money. Stuff really sold quick and I had a great time...

Mang0

Apr 15, 2017
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Don't have one right now
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Personally I use ebay, register as a seller and search for the type of rock, mineral etc u want to list for sale. More than likely u won't b the only one, if u r than search for past sales ( right hand top option on menu bar, drop down, choose sales or auctions that have already closed and scroll through to see what's been listed that is similar and what price range it's bringing

when u list an item u get to attach 12 high resolution pics and unlimited space for details, detail sells!

i can offer u guidance

Mang0

ButtonBidder

Nov 20, 2015
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I would hit ebay as every so called sale I've had on Craigslist were with bad checks and or people scamming saying OH I made a mistake and wrote the check for $500 too much so just send me the $500 LOL yeah right, 10 items 10 scams

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I will start out by saying that "huge" means different things to different people. For me, a huge mineral and rock collection would consist of many thousands of items totaling many tons. "Tons", in this case means multiples of 2000 pounds, or multiples of 1000 kilograms. Take your pick.

For my wife, a huge mineral collection would fill more than half a shelf in her garden shed.

Depending on what "huge" means in your case, you might want to use multiple avenues to sell your material.

Here are but a few of the resources to dispose of your collection. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, but using as many as you are able should help considerably in reducing the size of your collection.

Ebay. I am not a fan, but others are, for a variety of reasons. The key with eBay, is to set up your account properly and set up each sale properly. An accurate description and clear images of items being sold is also essential. Screw anything up and you could get burned.

Craigslist. I am a big fan. Like eBay, description and images are vital. I believe the key to successful use of Craigslist is to keep it local. Attempts by anyone to send you a check are almost always fraud. If someone wants you to ship something, that is also a sign of fraud. Keeping things local reduces potential fraud dramatically.

Rock, mineral, lapidary, and other similar clubs. If you have any local to you, check them out. They may be able to help.

Rock and lapidary shops. It can not hurt to offer. If they have an interest in what you have, they will make you an offer, probably on the lower end of wholesale.

Gem and mineral shows, flea markets. Some are better than others. The traveling shows generally make it hard for individuals to get a space, but it is not impossible. I know several shops that have booths at nearly every show within 200 miles, and some of the seasonal flea markets.

There are other avenues, but these are the highlights. Do you homework for each and make decisions.

Finally time for coffee.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will start out by saying that "huge" means different things to different people. For me, a huge mineral and rock collection would consist of many thousands of items totaling many tons. "Tons", in this case means multiples of 2000 pounds, or multiples of 1000 kilograms. Take your pick.

For my wife, a huge mineral collection would fill more than half a shelf in her garden shed.

Depending on what "huge" means in your case, you might want to use multiple avenues to sell your material.

Here are but a few of the resources to dispose of your collection. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, but using as many as you are able should help considerably in reducing the size of your collection.

Ebay. I am not a fan, but others are, for a variety of reasons. The key with eBay, is to set up your account properly and set up each sale properly. An accurate description and clear images of items being sold is also essential. Screw anything up and you could get burned.

Craigslist. I am a big fan. Like eBay, description and images are vital. I believe the key to successful use of Craigslist is to keep it local. Attempts by anyone to send you a check are almost always fraud. If someone wants you to ship something, that is also a sign of fraud. Keeping things local reduces potential fraud dramatically.

Rock, mineral, lapidary, and other similar clubs. If you have any local to you, check them out. They may be able to help.

Rock and lapidary shops. It can not hurt to offer. If they have an interest in what you have, they will make you an offer, probably on the lower end of wholesale.

Gem and mineral shows, flea markets. Some are better than others. The traveling shows generally make it hard for individuals to get a space, but it is not impossible. I know several shops that have booths at nearly every show within 200 miles, and some of the seasonal flea markets.

There are other avenues, but these are the highlights. Do you homework for each and make decisions.

Finally time for coffee.

You wrote all this before coffee? I'm impressed! :coffee2: :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread