What would this coin grade?

fano169

Jul 23, 2012
Just curious to see everyone's opinion :) thanks

image-1514668068.png

image-3284037364.png

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
Well first of all ( not to be a Debby downer) but that's a merc dime, which isn't that rare in comparison to most coins that would be worth grading. Coins like that (not THAT old, 20's- 40's) are worth their silver value, not value for rarity or collectibility. Other more rare coins (whether silver, gold or not) that are older are meant to be graded because their value exceeds their metal value.

tesorobandit

May 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero, bandidoII Umax, garrett 250, ETG ( eyes to the ground)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well first of all ( not to be a Debby downer) but that's a merc dime, which isn't that rare in comparison to most coins that would be worth grading. Coins like that (not THAT old, 20's- 40's) are worth their silver value, not value for rarity or collectibility. Other more rare coins (whether silver, gold or not) that are older are meant to be graded because their value exceeds their metal value.
I would say good +,but as was stated previously only a merc, and not THE key date (1916d.) And know where to find the mint mark. I cashed in a 1916 last year before realizing the d was not near the number;i'll never know...

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
All earlier "Mercs" in higher grades command a premium. The recent rise in metals prices has hurt numismatic values. If you take a handful of pre-1965 silver U.S. coin to a dealer, they usually only pay melt value. Dealers pay common silver market buy prices for coins and then pick out the good ones for store stock. 1923 and 1927 are both dates that are known for weak striking at the date area. If there isn't any apparent damage to the surface, like cleaning hairlines, then your full crossbands reverse coin is in at least very fine condition (VF). It is difficult, and usually inaccurate to try to grade coins from a scan. In hand, this coin might be a full extra fine. (EF) Keep in mind that catalog prices and real world prices are usually different with bargains to be had on ebay and at garage sales. Member 50Cent had a recent comment that hit the subject of pricing right on the nose. It's worth what someone will pay. You ought to ask a couple of bucks for this dime if you are thinking of selling it.

Susanska

Jun 23, 2013
Faith
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get your hands on a red book, they give a little indication about how to grade. It's not a good source of valuation though. The little ribbon crooning the middle of the torch is a "high point" of that side. If this and the lines in the torch are clear and concise, that side values high. The outline if curls on the head and hat are high points and contribute to value on that side. Then you must look at overall background scuff marks and the pinwheel effect. All those factors determine value plus some.
Most coin dealers offer free valuations, so check that too. As stated earlier, Mercs aren't very valuable, with a medium of about 1.50 for them. The earlier ones are different of course, more valuable.
I had dozens of rolls and dozens of slabbed pieces among others that were stolen :'( it was worth upper 5 digits for all my coins. So glad to see your beautiful piece! The history is magnificent!!!!

Susanska

Jun 23, 2013
Faith
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get your hands on a red book, they give a little indication about how to grade. It's not a good source of valuation though. The little ribbon crooning the middle of the torch is a "high point" of that side. If this and the lines in the torch are clear and concise, that side values high. The outline if curls on the head and hat are high points and contribute to value on that side. Then you must look at overall background scuff marks and the pinwheel effect. All those factors determine value plus some.
Most coin dealers offer free valuations, so check that too. As stated earlier, Mercs aren't very valuable, with a medium of about 1.50 for them. The earlier ones are different of course, more valuable.
I had dozens of rolls and dozens of slabbed pieces among others that were stolen :'( it was worth upper 5 digits for all my coins. So glad to see your beautiful piece! The history is magnificent!!!!

Darn auto correct! *crossing, not crooning...

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion.

1st as stated "it's worth what someone will pay for it" & IMO Without seeing the coin in person would probably grade from vf-au+ likely depending on [ mint luster ,the level of the strike] also one can not put all Mercury Dimes in "one basket" as with a mintage of 1,230,000 the 1921 lists in [Coins] mag, at $115,00 in f-12, your dime has a stated mintage of 50,130,000 so there is plenty to go around, but it appeals to me because it's my late Grandmothers birth year & depending on how it looks might make it worth more to someone like me. SO it's a nice looking Dime , I would keep it. All .IMO...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread