My Blue and Pink demijohns.

demifun

Greenie
Mar 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
032.JPG These blue and pink demijohns are attributed to Western Glass Works in California. The pink examples are not sun or artificial light colored, this is their true color.

Last edited:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE GROUP, I JUST HAD MY LARGE AMBER DEMI ACCIDENTLY BROKEN, KIDS GOTTA LOVE EM--:thumbsup:

OP
OP
D

demifun

Greenie
Mar 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank You for your kind words. Sorry to hear you had one break. I had that happen to one I was cleaning, an olive green colored demijohn.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello demifun,

Welcome to TNet & thanks for showing the demis. Nice colors on your group. My monitor doesn't seem to be registering the pinkness. I'm seeing SCA.

I'm unfamiliar with the Western Glass Works. Where were they located?

pacific-glass-works-fire-2.JPG

OP
OP
D

demifun

Greenie
Mar 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank You for your welcome.These pink colored demijohns were made in San Francisco, CA and Oakland, CA. They are quite rare. I can account for less than a dozen. When seen next to SCA colored glass ( which exhibits a lot of purple hues) the difference is quite apparent as these pink demis are more a shade of pink or almost a light red wine color when seen in certain light conditions. Some Ammonia bottles also turn up in this color as well. As I mentioned no artificial light or sun light colored these demijohns, they are the actual color that you see.

OP
OP
D

demifun

Greenie
Mar 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
023.JPG This photo shows the pink and blue demijohns in more light.

Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank You for your welcome.These pink colored demijohns were made in San Francisco, CA and Oakland, CA. They are quite rare. I can account for less than a dozen. When seen next to SCA colored glass ( which exhibits a lot of purple hues) the difference is quite apparent as these pink demis are more a shade of pink or almost a light red wine color when seen in certain light conditions. Some Ammonia bottles also turn up in this color as well. As I mentioned no artificial light or sun light colored these demijohns, they are the actual color that you see.

Hey demi,

I'm confused. Was this Oakland Glass Works?

ogwammonia+002.JPG
Western Bitters News: Oakland GlassWorks-OGW

And, Pacific Glass Works?

SF_xxxii_1865.jpg

OP
OP
D

demifun

Greenie
Mar 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of the pink demijohns found have the OGW on the bottom and are attributed to the Oakland Glass Works. Others are unmarked and are attributed to one of the San Francisco Glass houses , Pacific Glass Works would be the most probable Glass works that also produced some pink demijohns but we can't count out some other San Francisco Glass houses that existed. Ammonia Bottles are found in pink embossed as I recall San Francisco Gaslight, thus the attribution to some of the pink demijohns being made in San Francisco. Is the photo you posted a demijohn from OGW ? Nice ! I would love to acquire one :) Are you out West Surf ? The Pacific Glassworks ads you have posted are aweome !!!

Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey demi,

I'm no longer out West, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn, a few times... 8-)

So, who's doing this attributing? Did you dig these demijohns? Pink is just a color that is not seen with any regularity...

97-01.jpg

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Like 'surf', I'm curious about the origin of this unusual color glass.
I'd like to know that there are some demijohns out there in really
unusual colors. I've never seen a group of bottles like this group, and
I keep my eyes open for the unusual.

That said, apart from ultraviolet and gamma-radiated bottles, there
are some amethyst and blue demijohns in circulation. Here are a couple
of them from my shelf:
demiamythest.jpg demiamythestb.jpg
That's a 500 Watt photography
lamp behind the bottle.
demicobalt.jpg bluedemiwickerb.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread