1933 P Lincoln Wheat Cent - Triple Die Reverse Error

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have NEVER found a double die error, but when I picked up this coin today from the 50% off bin at a coin show I knew I had to have it. I won't be able to post any pictures with my phone without a magnifier, but as soon as I can get acceptable pics I will be sure to share.

Question 1 - How much does it cost to get an error coin verified?

Question 2 - What lab gets the best return on investment?

Question 3 - If this error is what I think it is, what could I expect to get for this coin with the right collector?

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, that this coin is in impeccable condition!! In a few spots, a shiny copper hue is evident. You can see all of the fine details on this coin....oh, and with only 14,360,000 minted, I'm hoping the lower montage will help drive up the value of this coin.

Come on, momma has her eye on a beautiful pair of earrings at a local pawn shop ;)

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, finances phone takes much better pics than mine. Here goes nothing....

The image of the reverse gives the best indication of true color and condition of this coin.

Thanks to anyone with help on this one!

Attachments

• image-2483458267.jpg
    image-2483458267.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 434
  • image-304094049.jpg
    image-304094049.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 496

nroth1618

May 18, 2013
That is a great find. 1933 Lincoln wheat cents are fairly common, only about $2 each but the double die is rare. It won't make you rich, but you are holding a $25 to $30 penny. I say that is one pretty penny!

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find. 1933 Lincoln wheat cents are fairly common, only about $2 each but the double die is rare. It won't make you rich, but you are holding a $25 to $30 penny. I say that is one pretty penny!

Were you able to see the pics?

Does it look like a triple die error? Look at the O in one, and the C and E in cent.

nroth1618

May 18, 2013
I suggest getting this coin graded, you can send it to PCGS, NGC, ANACS and many others. In my personal experience PCGS is the best graders and they sell for 8% higher than their competitors. It is about $15 to send it in to get graded, but it will raise the value of that coin to around $65. If it receives an uncirculated grade than it could be worth hundreds!

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest getting this coin graded, you can send it to PCGS, NGC, ANACS and many others. In my personal experience PCGS is the best graders and they sell for 8% higher than their competitors. It is about $15 to send it in to get graded, but it will raise the value of that coin to around $65. If it receives an uncirculated grade than it could be worth hundreds!

Thank you again. Information is much appreciated. I hope to get this out next week to get graded. I assume that PCGS would give me an exact error designation as well as a coin grade?

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I have held onto it. I want to show it to a trusted dealer before I move forward with the grading/certification.
I have many error coi that I have found hunting penny rolls, so worst case scenaroi I'll stowe it away until they decide to top making US one cent coins.

WilliamH

Dec 20, 2012
To me it almost looks like a stamp error where it was stamped too hard and pushed into the back. Let us know what you find out. WH

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
Honestly it also appears that maybe someone took a dremel tool it or something. There anyway of getting better pictures?

Lygore

Nov 7, 2012
I have a few coins like that. It looks like hub-doubling to me. Not worth a whole lot more. If it is a double die, the doubled portions will be rounded at the edges where the die made a second impression when it stamped again. If it is hub-doubling it'll be a shelf or squared off look. Some of mine you cant really tell without a microscope or high powered magnifier. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one guy in Glenside that deals mostly in foreign coins. He is super nice and VERY honest. The other one is First Penn Precious metals (I think that is the name). It's in Warminster. Incredible selection of vintage jewelry!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't really tell from the pics as to whether it is a Tripled Die or a Triple Struck but there is something there that needs close-up inspection. Before you send the coin in for Certification and Grading, it needs to attributed as to whether it is a Tripled Die or not. Since no Doubled or Tripled Die Varieties are known for the 1933-P Lincoln Cent, PCGS...NGC or ANACS will not add attribution of the coin being a Tripled Die (if that is what it is) since none have previously been found, attributed and entered into the files for Doubled or Tripled Dies. Contact Bob Piazza that currently maintains the listings and attribution of Lincoln Cent Varieties for the Copper Coins website and database at A Comprehensive Web Encyclopedia of U.S. Copper Coinage .... You can also contact John Wexler at Wexler's Coins and Die Varieties , just scroll down for contact information for Mr. Wexler. There are many more Error and Variety Coin Experts that I could list but these are the two I would recommend first.

Frank

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't really tell from the pics as to whether it is a Tripled Die or a Triple Struck but there is something there that needs close-up inspection. Before you send the coin in for Certification and Grading, it needs to attributed as to whether it is a Tripled Die or not. Since no Doubled or Tripled Die Varieties are known for the 1933-P Lincoln Cent, PCGS...NGC or ANACS will not add attribution of the coin being a Tripled Die (if that is what it is) since none have previously been found, attributed and entered into the files for Doubled or Tripled Dies. Contact Bob Piazza that currently maintains the listings and attribution of Lincoln Cent Varieties for the Copper Coins website and database at A Comprehensive Web Encyclopedia of U.S. Copper Coinage .... You can also contact John Wexler at Wexler's Coins and Die Varieties , just scroll down for contact information for Mr. Wexler. There are many more Error and Variety Coin Experts that I could list but these are the two I would recommend first.

Frank

Frank,

Thank you so much. I will have to dig my coin out and give these guys a call.

Mandi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread