vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Wow - well, until someone pipes in - you might consider browsing Baseball Cards Price Guide and seeing if you aren't holding onto a card that is worth major bucks...

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be sure to do your homework before making any deciscions about selling anything. Beckett sports cards makes a decent price guide that is inexpensive 7-8 bucks I think. Try not to value your collection as a 20k card lot , you will get more by selling the rookies and stars individually than any offer you would get bulk. The hobby has really suffered due to the poor economy and the new idea of premium luxury cards and packs. It has chased a lot of the younger generation away by making the most wanted packs 50-1500 a pack. Also if you have some of the greater stars and rookies in your collection CONDITION is huge in the hobby. A card worth $50 in near mint condition can be worth $4000 in gem mint 10. Baseball in those years suffered a lot since the 80-90's rookie class was the first ones out on the performance drugs bandwagon(bonds,mcgwire,clemens etc.) A lot of people heroes turned on them so they sold off their heroes card and the prices dropped. But theres still a few in demand, Have fun searching and watch those corners. PS. if they are 20,000 commons most people want about $200 to take them off your hands.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most common cards are about as valuble as Beanie Babies,.......or less. Good luck. Check Ebay, its flooded with cards, no market

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah breaking it up is a good idea. I sold half a million cards for 100 bucks and that's the best I could get from over 20 diffrent people. I could have went through and put individual. On eBay or so but that's a lot of time and you pay to post on most card selling sites or ebay and you might have to post a few times to get a buyer. Best bet just hold onto them for another 20 years they'll go back up.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy Am I glad that during that crazy period for BB cards A friend advised to buy OLD Hockey cards 70 - 81 ---- They have held their value

Mjw38

Aug 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got about 30-35k in sports card but will just hang onto them. Someday they will be worth something.

Kyle5428

Sep 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said your collection value depends on the cards you have and time you want to put into selling it off in pieces or by card or as a whole. Beckett price guide gives you a good idea of book value however you will find out that means nothing when selling. Cards don't even sell at book value at retail stores anymore. Ebay is a good way to see what some cards are worth. I wouldn't waist any time search anything from the 80's because they are worth nothing. Cards in the 80's were so over produced and people started collecting them instead of playing with them and putting them in there bicycle spokes, where cards from the 80's are so common they are pretty much considered clutter in the collecting world. Search your collection for rookie, inserts, and numbered cards from the 90's. Some of those cards can be worth a good amount of money provided the cards are in good condition. Base cards from the 90's can sell .02-.15 depending on the player. Most star players sell for .10 easily. Hopefully helps you out a little.

Last edited:

stlcardinalsfan

Jul 4, 2013
southeast missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
i activly buy trade and sell cards. i at one time had over 400,000 cards. i got rid of alot to focus on just my cardinals stuff. i pretty much gave away 90's stuff

DO NOT USE BECKETTS PRICE GUIDES

use ebay.....period.

beckett is so far off on pricing nowadays, only people that use beckett is people who trade by book value...no one will buy at book value anymore.
i sold a bryce harper autographed bowman platinum card last year for 135....was sitting at 150 on ebay with no bids so i sold it...it booked for 250.

most cards from 85 to 94 are basically trash....even mcgwire and bonds and all of the guys most people think are gold....u cant sell them for 10 cents anymore.

i sold 10000 cards to some guy in town for around 30 bucks...he had no idea what he was doing though....i got the upperhand in the deal...but he offered.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread