Odd 1992 D Penny Error?

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this penny yesterday at work. It was laying on the ground, I have a habit of picking up coins to check them for oddities and I also check all the change I and my wife receive from the stores. Drives her nuts when she gets change and I immediately put my hand out so I can check it. I just thought this one looked odd and thought I would share. There is and strange mark under the D mint mark and also some strange circles on the reverse. I believe it was just cud on the planket when it was struck. Looks neat though. I apologize for the image quality but my iPhone doesn't have macro like my old phone did.

Attachments

• image-264704180.jpg
    image-264704180.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 982
  • image-74483337.jpg
    image-74483337.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 2,151

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sorry to tell you but it is just bubbles forming between the Copper plating and the Zinc core. This is caused by environmental damage due to where the coins have been (i.e. in or on the ground with environmental contaminants, subjected to acids or other chemicals, etc.) during it's life since being minted. This happens to most Copper plated Zinc Cents when not stored correctly or not kept away from these contaminants. I sometimes attend Car Auctions and while checking out some of the cars that have problems and they will accept offers on instead of trying to auction them off, I find loads if Copper plated Zinc Cents in the ashtray or center consoles that are nasty from cigarette ashes, gummy soda spills and who knows what else. Most of these Cents are compromised, not collectible and only good for rolling them up and taking them to the Bank. They care less if I remove the coins or not, they are free and I feel that every cent (penny) counts!

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread