Button Collecting!

elchwa

Mar 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I am currently doing a project on collecting in particular reference to buttons. I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide me information on their own button collecting.

I was wondering how the collection came about? - why do you collect buttons?
How do you collect/store the buttons?
Is there a particular favourite (or more than one) - is there a story behind the reason to why it is your favourite?
Are there particular styles you look for? - and if so, why?

Any information you would be able to provide me would be really interesting and useful. Any picture attachments would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't " collect " because I just haven't found enough to actually call it that. I am very pleased with a couple I have been fortunate enough to find though. The first " good " button was an 1830's-1840's civilian-use one still showing some gold gilt. The pattern is a grape cluster with leaves. The loop contains thread that might actually be period according to a very respected member of this forum. That is why it is my favorite.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 272

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This one would have to be my favorite flat button. The simple construction with the loop being off center, makes me believe it is an old one.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426852901.956348.jpg

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't collect either, but I have every button I have ever found in 38 years of detecting, all in a couple of cigar boxes. Never have even cleaned them.

Dec 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four of my late-2016 button finds. They're not the most unique, but very historical! The two metal buttons are c1860's Union Army uniform pants buttons dug near Fort Churchill, Nv. The two oyster shell buttons were dug in Virginia City, Nv. The bottom right is the tiniest, most delicate button Ive ever found.
5810947b9a865dda9b80d0ce4ef0fae3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Photo#1.jpg Photo#9.jpg Photo#3.jpg
I did a dig recently you guys can read about in the new Western & Eastern Treasures (Jan) It was the remains of a shoddy mill littered with buttons. If you like buttons, check it out :icon_thumright:

ButtonBidder

Nov 20, 2015
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other

White Wolf

Sep 8, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
X-TERRA 705, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there. I am not collecting them but just storing them - cause I didn't find many yet. In the future I am planning to make a display cause I have and hope will find some more old buttons. In the past the buttons played role of jewelry . I love finding them.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow thats amazing saving our past

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice Historical buttons here. I love finding buttons from the War of Northern Aggression. Confetrit' buttons are among my favorite ones to find because they are so much more rare. But I'll keep Yankee buttons too Lol. Eagle buttons are cool to find also.

freddo

Sep 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Members

I am researching an English military button from the Napoleonic war 1794-1814 ,letters on button LWV, gold plated.

For Lakenheath and Wangford Volunteers,I have seen one online ,would be interested in any extra info.

Regards Freddo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread