Hong Kong Colonial and other Coins

FeroxDraken

Jul 12, 2015
Hong Kong
Detector(s) used
White beach ID 300
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi, thought I'd start of my new membership here by sharing my collection while I wait for my new detector to show up in the mail. I just shared my paper money collection here , but I also do coins. It's a recent collection, I've only been doing it for 5 years.

Basically Hong Kong used to be a British colony until 1997 before it was given back to China. Even though they are still in circulation, these colonial coins are slowly being removed so I'm doing my best to collect them before they are gone forever. Also some other things I've picked up over the years.

QxpUF8u.jpg

10 cents, 20 cents, 50 cents, 1 dollar, 2 dollars, and 5 dollars. 10 dollars and higher before 1994 were in note form, before they turned it into a coin and then back into a note as well. Note the lions or queen's head on them. After 1994 this stopped and was replaced with a national flower and a number on either side.

lL1hOlW.jpg

Z1H8WBl.jpg

You get a fair few as change even today, the coin shape and weight of todays currency is the same as the colonial up to a point and all colonial cash is legal tender. I guess so people didn't lose their saving because of the swap of governments.

Ug2fjTc.jpg

Pre 1975 currency. These are harder to find and you don't get them in circulation anymore. The top on the left is an old 1 dollar coin, the right is current and post 1975 size. The coins below are cents.

PXArl7U.jpg

3LRu7FO.jpg

7hNyMVz.jpg

0M6bkLx.jpg

j5KC72c.jpg

HYR4uIQ.jpg

These are my favourite, they are special coins to celebrate the hand over of the country from British to Chinese rule. Normal money has a national flower on one side and then a number on the other. If you ever get your hands on a HK coin that says 1997 on it, check it, if it's missing a flower it might be a rare one. These weren't suppose to be spent, they came in little collectable booklets or with stamps but I've picked all these up from shops as change (except the 10 cent, I traded for that, quite rare). I'm only missing the $10 which has a bridge on it.

IOHwlyu.jpg

Two shillings, or a floren, 1950. Sorry for the fuzzy pictures!

RxAy0fl.jpg

fN2c3xh.jpg

I have a friend who lives in Israel, got my hands on this Lira collection.

dP8hA5e.jpg

dSM9eTi.jpg

dFDaxFc.jpg

This was my first coin I picked up from the Royal Mint as a memento of my time in the UK for university.

I guess I'm most interested in British and colonial era coins, I studied it a lot in high school here, and my family has a very colonial background because my Chinese grandfather fought alongside the British in WW2 and later in the 50s. Hope you enjoyed my terrible photography! :BangHead:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread