epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi gang, I'm known in the bottle & glass forum for my large collection of Paterson N.J. bottles and stoneware, as well as anything else from the area, but recently I have been trying to add to my collection of F.D. badges. It's my hope to have an entire set of badges from the 15 different volunteer companies that were active in Paterson until 1890 when they became partially paid.

As you can see, the style of badge only uses initials, so people often confuse them and list them wrong on Ebay and elsewhere. In fact the last two times one of these badges were listed on Ebay they were both listed as Passaic N.J. F.D., the other large city nearby. I have even found them in museum collections listed as Passaic instead of Paterson.

Paterson had three company #1's, #2's and 3's, they consisted of engine companies, hose companies and hook & ladder companies, which can be distinguished very easily by looking at the badges below. Companies #4-#9 were only engine companies, and like most town and cities each company had there own specific name for different reasons, the Paterson N.J. companies were.....

Passaic #1
Neptune #2
Washington #3
Phoenix #4(disbanded 1842)
Jackson #4
Protection #5
Engine co. #6(disbanded 1842)
Vigilant #6
Lexington #7(started 1868, funny story)
Liberty #7
Lafayette #8
Paterson E.C. #9

Columbia Hose #1
Cataract Hose #2
Hibernia Hose #3

Eagle H & L #1
Germania H & L #2
Hook & Ladder #3

These are the badges from the time period I currently own and I am looking to acquire any that I may need...

FD Badges in my collection.jpg

Today I was lucky enough to acquire my first Civil War era F.D. from Paterson along with a very rare Exempt Fireman's badge from the same source...

Scan0216a.jpg

Thanks for checking out some of my Paterson F.D. items, if you have anything I may want I would appreciate the opportunity to purchase it, I also have some medals and other badges to trade..... Jim

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Turns out the seller who had the two new badges for me didn't realize that the P.F.D. badge was also a Paterson N.J. badge, so it was a great morning yesterday for sure....

Attachments

• 4029034624.JPG
    4029034624.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 225
  • 4029034623.JPG
    4029034623.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 275
  • 4029034625.JPG
    4029034625.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 254
OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I was able to add the rarest of all known badges from the Paterson F.D., Germania Hook & Ladder Co. #2 moved into the 77 Prospect St. firehouse previously occupied by Hook & Ladder Co. #1 in 1873, the building was first used in 1856. It is the only known example of this badge and the only badge from Paterson known with the companies name on it, as it's new curator I am psyched to add it to my collection until which time it is donated to either the NJ Fireman's Museum in Boonton or better yet the Paterson N.J. Museum. Also pictured is the building as it stands today along with a pic of the rig outside the firehouse...

13242109_10206592732838821_1331662249_o.jpg
1448041572.png
6752920_orig.jpg

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Added the nickle plated Neptune Engine Co. #2 badge tonight, unlike the brass variant the nickel plated badges identified you as an exempt member of the Paterson F.D. back in the day. Now if I can just find the Hose Company #2 badge I'll be a happy camper...

$1g1a(a1)11.jpg

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
My shield variants, the collection continues to grow since I was lucky enough to add the brass Jackson Steam Engine Co. #4, and I have a line on the Liberty Engine Co. #7 variant, fingers crossed..

badges4.jpg
badge4brass.jpg

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it's been one hell of a week, added 3 new badges leaving me two short of the entire set. I have the largest collection of Paterson N.J. volunteer era shield style badges ever assembled, except when the P.F.D. ordered them... LOL

Went from the first group you see pictured to the 2nd group, the last pic is the 2 badges I am hunting for to have a complete set. To have an ENTIRE SET I would need both brass and nickel plated variants of each, which may take the rest of my life...

bad.jpg
$6-8-12a.jpg
$6-8-12aa.jpg

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy Smokes! That is one impressive collection! Thanks for sharing!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
epackage, THAT is one "Incredible" collection, never seen anything like that. Kind of have a soft spot for older fire dept. items, both my dad and uncle retired as Battalion Chiefs from the Fire Dept. in Detroit, Mich. in the 70's. Hired in right after the 2nd WW.

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the kind words, here is my father at Christmas 2016, I had a shadowbox made of my great grandfather's, grandfather's and father's badges and medals. My family had 103 years of continuous service in the Totowa N.J. F.D., a volunteer department from a town that borders Paterson and where I was born and raised. All 3 were chiefs and assistant chiefs, my dad was the first 50 year active T.F.D. member, and in 1973 he was the Schaefer Beer Fireman of the Year in N.J. for pulling 4 people from a flipped over burning car before they could get any water to it, he got the last person out and the car exploded. He came home covered in blood and my mom fainted twice before he realized he better get cleaned up and change his clothes. Schaefer gave him all kinds of cool things, and the Governor himself presented my dad with an honorary certificate from the state, I couldn't be more proud of my families history with the Totowa F.D..

$6-8-12aw.jpg
$1aa11.jpg
$1aa11111.jpg
$1aa1111.jpg
$1aa111.jpg

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
repackage, you have every right to be proud of your Dad and Grandfather and Uncles. That is quite a History of your Family in the Fire Service. I'm sure they had some stories to tell throughout their careers. Did you serve in the Fire Service also? That is quite a collection of helmet shields you have. Very Impressive indeed. I am a retired Firefighter from DeKalb County, Georgia in metro Atlanta. I retired a Firefighter after 26 years and loved the work.

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Had another great Saturday, most of what I got was from the Superintendent of the Fire Alarm & Telegraph system for the P.F.D., James F. Zeluff. I got the gold badge he is seen wearing in both the cabinet card image as well as the large(20" X 16") hand color tinted enlargement from that same photo. Amusingly to me is the lapel pins he wore for the Alarm & Telegraph Dept. that spell the word FAT on each side of his neck.

I also got his silver Superintendent's badge and his gold presentation badge from Neptune Co. #2 where he rose to the rank of assistant chief before taking over the Superintendent's job. I also got a great original photo showing the brand new alarm room system at fire headquarters, along with his original 1885 appointment to the position of Supt. of the Fire Alarm and Hose House, which was used to dry out hose after fires, a must back in the day.

To top it all off I got a Passaic Co. #1 parade helmet shield, which is signed on the back by both John T. Pollitt and Joseph H. Chamberlain, both on the 1884 roster of Passaic #1, so I assume one of them passed it along to other when he retired. I also got another gold presentation badge for Henry Schoonmaker from Passaic Co. #1, a silver helmet presentation tag for Thomas Condron, a Gamewell Fire Line badge, my second. A cabinet card showing a fireman from Paterson Steam Fire Engine Co. #9 with helmet, belt and badge, a great stereoview after the Great Fire of 1902 that burned down 85% of Paterson's business district, showing firemen loading a horse drawn wagon with anything salvageable from their firehouse, James F. Zeluff's 1887 certificate of membership to the Order of American Firemen, and lastly an original 1864 photo by John Reid of Passaic Co. #1's brand new apparatus, all shiny and new outside their house.

It was a Hell of a Day!! Click pics to enlarge them...

Scan0512.jpg
Scan0512aaaaaaa.jpg
Scan0512aaaaaaaa.jpg
Scan0512aaaaaaaaa.jpg
Scan0512aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
Scan0490a.jpg
Scan0487.jpg
Scan0488.jpg
Scan0512aaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
Scan0510.jpg
Scan0491.jpg
Scan0491aa.jpg
Scan0512aaa.jpg
Scan0512aa.jpg
Scan0512aaaa.jpg
Scan0489a.jpg

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those badges and memorabilia look to be just as addicting as bottles......fun stuff like this is part of the joy. I like em.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing collection I am very impressed

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazingly enough I added 3 badges I needed for my collection in a week, Engine Co's. #1, #2 & #4 non-exempt badges, this makes 18 shield shaped badges in all so far. Hopefully one day I'll have an entire set, that would be really impressive and something I would love to share with the current Paterson F.D.. Once the #1 & #4 arrive I will get quality pics and add them to the group photo in their proper places. Hose Co. #1 & #2 are the badges I am really seeking right now, and I expect to add the Hook & Ladder Co. #1 non-exempt badge once I can meet the guy who has it for me, I have something he wants to buy that too big to ship, so we need to meet for me to acquire the badge, and until I have it in hand I don't count as part of my collection...

#99 1a111111aa11aaaaaaaaa.JPG
$1 111aaa.jpg
# 1a111111111111111111111111.jpg

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one Great collection of Fire Memorabilia. Your family has quite a History and Heritage in the Fire Service. You have much to be proud of. Best of luck to you in obtaining the full set of badges and shields you need to complete your full set. Thanks for sharing this with us.

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
My latest badge arrived yesterday, the Passaic Engine Co. #1 non-exempt badge, it had been folded in at the edges like you do with the bill of a baseball cap. This isn't how they were made, and it looked odd next to the other badges, so I figured I needed to try and get it back to it's original flat appearance. So I took a 3/4" wide piece of an empty toilet paper roll and used a pair of small adjustable pliers with the toilet paper roll cardboard as a buffer to protect the teeth of the pliers from damaging the surface of the badge. Well that double layer of cardboard worked perfectly, and after a minute or two I got the badge back to it's original look, it was about 3/16" on an inch shorter in width because of the fold on each side, it'll now look great when these are framed.

Here is the before & after as well as the group shot of the 2 Company #1 badges I currently have. I am hoping a Hose Co. #1 badge comes my way in the future, and it would be great to have both non-exempt and exempt examples of each, but I'll simply be happy with a badge from each company...

BADGE Passaic 1 non-exempt fixed.jpg
BADGE Eng. Co. 1 & H&L 1.jpg

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Still waiting on the non-exempt Jackson Steam Engine Co. #4 to arrive, here is the most up to date image I just took...

Badges 5-11-2020a.jpg

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
My non-exempt Jackson Steam Engine Co. #4 badge arrived and took it's place in line. Still waiting on my non-exempt Eagle Hook & Ladder Co. #1 badge deal to get done, but Covid-19 is screwing that up, the hunt continues...

badges1111111.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love this post just amazing looks like your Dad and Grandfather had a big impact on you for collecting those. Thats just awesome to see the passion you have, Great Collection and way to Honor and appreciate all those items you have collected. Im hooked on your thread great to read Thanks for sharing........Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread