RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I started brick collecting last year. You can say, I literally fell into it.

I was taking this young lady to a hunting blind last turkey season. It was mid afternoon, a time of day when you can see where you are going. We had to cross a creek in order to get there, which was no big deal. I took her to a spot which looked safe to cross. I put my foot down, and the ground beneath it gave way, sending me tumbling into the creek. Thank goodness she was married...I'd be humiliated if she was single, not that it mattered. Anyways, as I stood up, I saw a brick sticking out of the bank. While she was laughing it up, not even so much asking if I was okay, I looked at the brick. Photo below.

DSC_0812.jpg

It got me researching, and research led to a few trips to Ohio, and those trips to Ohio got me into brick collecting. Imagine that. I love those big heavy street pavers, but when I get old as some of you guys on here...I might not like them so much. Anyways, here are a few I found.

DSC_0811.jpg

My pallet

DSC_0813.jpg

Three variants from the same company.

DSC_0814.jpg

DSC_0815.jpg

DSC_0816.jpg

DSC_0817.jpg

These are town named bricks.

DSC_0818.jpg

And my first and only dated brick.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure like old bricks also. That is a nice collection. Your post had me looking at the international brick collectors association website. I have always hauled stamped bricks home. It turns out I have one that is not on there Colorado web page. I will have to contact them! Thanks for showing your collection!

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are cool old bricks! There is an old defunct railroad station east of my town, torn down in the 1930's. I found a few stamped bricks there stamped "COFFEYVILLE" at the site. I assume they're from Kansas, not 100% sure.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool bricks, I like collecting the interesting ones also. I used to live in Columbus and recognize some of those. That dated brick is awesome, wouldn't be surprised if it is worth a decent bit. And keep in mind that the old "Culver Block" pavers like the ones used in the original Indianapolis Motor Speedway are very desirable and sell for stupid amounts of money, over 50 each to racing fans. I've found a few perfect ones and a dumped wall section made of them but never bothered trying to sell them. If you find any in your area even your beleaguered back would probably agree they're worth hauling home!

thf152054.jpg

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Coffeyville had several brick plants going around the turn of the century. It is estimated that the daily output of all plants was over 750,000 bricks per day. Most closed down by the 1930's. The three plants that I know of were "Standard", "Yoke", and "Coffeyville Vitrified Brick and Tile" (usually marked "Coffeyville VB&T"). A high-collectible brick from Coffeyville is one marked "Don't Spit On Sidewalk". I've seen Coffeyville bricks in the sidewalks of Hong Kong, and in a brick fountain at Disney World in Orlando.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i have one of those,its one of the 3.1 million they use at the speedway.
brad

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have any Purington Pavers? Or any Buffalos?

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No, just some local Ohio bricks.

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had read that in early Iowa, there were many good clay deposits for the many brick mfgs. that sprung up. In many cases the bricks were made from clays right on the building site...from the ground to the walls. What times those must have been.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread