flintframe82007.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,946

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Great collection to show here! It makes it a big help when identifying found points.

Welcome! If you have any finds, we would love to see them.

......HH

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
MEinWV,

Yes, I have field found many, many pieces. I posted a few of them on the Indian Artifacts board in this forum. I plan on posting more finds over time, but wanted to put up a "collection" pic in this forum.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow :o thats some nice stuff there Jon.

S

seger98

Don't want to sound like a dummy here, but what are the 4 with the hole in them? Some kind of fleshing tool? Chris

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Chris,

The objects with holes in them are pendants made by different Woodland cultures around the time of Christ. They are very rare in perfect condition, but most field hunters from around here get pieces of them every year.

Hope that helps,
Jon Dickinson

P

pickaway

Wow great collection, :o i really like that multi colored adena.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry -
but some of the bored holes in some of the "artifacts" look to clean, machine made, to perfect
way to clean
I'm sure I'm gonna get some heat over this but its just my educated machine shop opinion
I'm not trying to call you on your site, but cant say I would buy from said site.
again, just my opinion,
Brady

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bradyboy said:
heres my issue

bradyboy, pieces like that are drilled so cleanly because they were driled with a piece of reed and sand to make an almost perfectly round smooth hole. I know Jon personally and have seen some of those pieces on display before and attest to them being authentic.

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Bradyboy,

I desserve some blame for your ignorance on the subject matter. I shouldn't have put a link to my website. The post wasn't meant as an advertisement. I just wanted to show some things that knowledgable artifact collectors could appreciate.

The piece to which you refer is a no-brainer authentic bannerstone. It has perfect documentation dating to the late 1920's. It is published in the book "Ornamental Indian Artifacts" by Lar Hothem on Page 80. It has been viewed, enjoyed, and sometimes envied by a large number of knowledgable artifact collectors. Enough about that.

I am going to make some assumptions. You have already done this, so it is fair game. You know the problems with assumptions, they make an "ass" out of you and me.

I don't believe that you even have a modicum of knowledge about Midwestern bannerstone forms. I doubt you have ever seen one in person, and certainly have no clue how they were manufactured. Why you decide to chime in with a backround in machining is beyond me. Instead of further berating you, I'll teach you something. I may even add to the thread from time to time with some info on the topic.

Most bannerstones were drilled with a hollow reed and sand combination. As a result, the holes are extremely clean with circular scoring. I will make a new post that explains the process in greater detail, but I wanted to keep it really at first for you.

Pictures:
1) Same bannerstone you questioned from another angle to highlight hole
2) See Above. Notice extremely large raised mineral deposit on top corner.
3) Quartz banner with reed drilling only started. Notice the "nipple".
4) Large hole banner. Notice ringed scoring and massive mineral buildup.
5) Broken and salvaged banner segment. Notice hole is perfectly straight. Pic slightly distorts, b/c piece did not break cleanly.
6) See Above. Unbroken angle to show how the line isn't clean on the break. Also, notice second salvage hole.
7) Another broken banner showing scoring and the result of reed drilling. It is a "reel" type, and is considered the earliest banner form.

Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Attachments

• bannerholedrilling6.jpg
    bannerholedrilling6.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,084
  • bannerholedrilling5.jpg
    bannerholedrilling5.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,054
  • bannerholedrilling3.jpg
    bannerholedrilling3.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,236
  • bannerholedrilling1.jpg
    bannerholedrilling1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,118
  • bannerholedrilling2.jpg
    bannerholedrilling2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,103
  • kingcollection8.jpg
    kingcollection8.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,107
  • kingcollection7.jpg
    kingcollection7.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,128

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
First pic is mostly all personal finds with the exception of the hammers and axes. The rest are my good frames that at one point were over populated, but I have since sold many. I can help those with questions about flint types and origin. You would be surprised where that flint source is from!

Attachments

• P1010036.JPG
    P1010036.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,115
  • P1010042.JPG
    P1010042.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,001
  • P1010041.JPG
    P1010041.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,064

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread