My WWII Collection

U.P. Northwoods

Jul 27, 2008
Nisula, MI/Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
This is but a portion of a collection that dateds back many years. I magine my interest was piqued when a wee lad of 5 my gramps had me at a Sons of the Union Veterans meeting at the old local GAR Hall He had invited 3 vets from the Span/Am War and there I was sitting on their laps admiring their medals and such. I can remember the old campaign hats. One was wearing his uniform. They had to of been at least in their early eighties.
By the 70's I was all about getting as much into my brain about the Second World War as possible. I have been involved with the WWII vets marching in parades, monument dedications, static displays, speaking engagements etc. I believe God truly blessed us with these men and the sacrifice they gave.
In one of the following pics is a rain jacket pullover that my father in-law wore. He was one of my greatest heroes. He was in the 1st Naval Beach Battalion. They were the Bastards of the Navy as much of their work was done with Army Combat Engineers. They were the first to go in to the beach. They would do everything from guiding incoming landing craft to where they were suppose to go to administering fisrt aid to wounded and calling in coordinates for ship to shore shelling of bunkers and such. He first landed at Algiers in N. Africa, then Sicily, Salerno, Anzio, So. France and Okinawa. He never spoke about it, he couldn't. His losses were many! What he did leave was a journal and it says it all.
Another hero is my very dear friend George Koskimaki. George was a member of the vaunted 101st A/B Div. he was Genl. Maxwell D. Taylors personal radioman throughout the war. He jumped at Normandy, Holland and was one of the Battered Bastards of Bastogne. He has written three outstanding books chronicling the heroic efforts of the 101st throughout the war. If interested his books are D-Day, Hells Highway, and The Battered Bastads of Bastogne.
Today they are dying at a rate of 1000+ a day and soon will be gone but for a few. Please thank a vet. Shake their hand and tell them "Well Done, well done". I love them all and God Bless them all, those that have protected us and the greatest nation on earth!

Attachments

• My Cache 010.jpg
    My Cache 010.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 713
  • My Cache 012.jpg
    My Cache 012.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 716
  • My Cache 011.jpg
    My Cache 011.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 717
  • My Cache 010.jpg
    My Cache 010.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 716
  • My Cache 010.jpg
    My Cache 010.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 726
  • My Cache 008.jpg
    My Cache 008.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 733
  • My Cache 007.jpg
    My Cache 007.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 723
  • My Cache 006.jpg
    My Cache 006.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 729
  • My Cache 005.jpg
    My Cache 005.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 726
  • My Cache 004.jpg
    My Cache 004.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 730
  • My Cache 003.jpg
    My Cache 003.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 728
  • My Cache 002.jpg
    My Cache 002.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 738
  • My Cache 001.jpg
    My Cache 001.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 736

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Nice stuff! Much better condition than my own collection. I noted the WWI trench knife included (is it original? I don't see the LF&C markings)... one of the items I would never part with out of the junk I have.

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI
That is an amazing collection you have and a very nice display , thanks for sharing. I too collect but mainly on the other side, get the time Ill try to post what I have.

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
U.P. Outstanding collection as well as your write up. I retired from the military while my wife is working on her 29th year. Your point of thanking a vet is right on. Way less than 1% of us is keeping this country free and safe. Where is Nisula? I have a pkace close to Iron Mountain. PJ

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ADD 2 punches to the man card :icon_thumleft:
side note the rifles etc on wall Replicas or shooters :icon_scratch:
if so add 2 punches more

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great collection. I have a few things but nothing like yours :thumbsup:

OP
OP
U.P. Northwoods

U.P. Northwoods

Jul 27, 2008
Nisula, MI/Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
Hello Fella's, Thanks so much for your kind replies and words. To any vet that reads this, bless you all! Alot of my memorabilia is in storage. My basement used to look like a supply depot. Yes the firearms are shooters except for the Tommygun. All original parts, just can't shoot. :'(

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.P. Northwoods said:
Hello Fella's, Thanks so much for your kind replies and words. To any vet that reads this, bless you all! Alot of my memorabilia is in storage. My basement used to look like a supply depot. Yes the firearms are shooters except for the Tommygun. All original parts, just can't shoot. :'(
;D :thumbsup:

maxmoney

Sep 15, 2008
Bloomington Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini-3, Ace 250, Cen-Tech pinpointer
That is a nice collection!!!!! Congrats!!!! Both my grandfathers served and flew bombers. I only got one thing thou. I just got to vist my grandpa in the V.A. hospital a few weeks ago for his 85th birthday(my other grandpa passed on my 17th b-day).

Attachments

• grandpa 4.jpg
    grandpa 4.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 655
OP
OP
U.P. Northwoods

U.P. Northwoods

Jul 27, 2008
Nisula, MI/Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
Bless them both maxmoney. Hold on to that nice piece of memorabilia. You should try to glean as much info as you can about your grandfathers experiences. These are things that must be passed down as these great men pass from this world. Glad you enjoyed the pics.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding!

HolyDiver