Nice old stone well

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
At least it's my guess it's a well. This is only 200 ft. from the ocean (and in a park) so I doubt any digging down would be possible.

Newcastle Island, B.C. provided the sandstone for the San Francisco mint, among other buildings, and the main quarry site is not too far away. This is from the coal mining area.

Well-1.jpg

This is what this area looked like in 1875. This stone well(?) is just back on the right hand side of the photo.

Newcastle Island.gif

This stone wall and structure is at the top of the hill on left. Maybe a fireplace?

stones.jpg

Jay

OP
OP
Saturna

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
I used the "Foliage" setting on the camera for the first one, but forgot on the second. It does make the Greens look better doesn't it, more lifelike.

Jay

OP
OP
Saturna

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
I've never found much in the way of old coins at industrial sites and this area is no exception. This is on an island and I doubt the workers carried many coins on them. Probably more of a company town set-up.

Lots of iron in the ground, of course. Some brass relics and other oddball copper pieces. One area had a bunch of lead blobs, so there was some kind of lead pouring going on.

This particular park is so pretty that even a 'no coin' day is enjoyable :thumbsup:

Jay

riverite

Sep 15, 2008
campbell river bc
Detector(s) used
ace250 with sniper coil
Hi Saturna, have ever tried around the Cumberland area, used to be heavy into coal mining at one tme they had over 10000 chinese miners in camps around the area.A few years ago some one rounded up i00000 old opium bottles from the dumps around town and shipped them to the states ,upset a few people letting a chunk of local history escape . they have a neat museum where you can get all the history ,well worth a visit. I intend to give it a try myself in the spring ,got to be some good stuff still around, too late this year as i will be getting away for the winter pretty soon

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I don't know how much digging you can do there but I would think that it might have been an old,old,old wishing well. Just imagine the coins that might be down there :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread